Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broke my T-56 tailhousing....Need lots of help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Broke my T-56 tailhousing....Need lots of help! (pics)

Well I broke my T-56 tailhousing this weekend. I was slamming first gear from a slight roll. My tires where spinning just fine. I slammed second and that's when my heart stopped. I heard a loud snap and it was followed by the sound of my drive shaft slapping the bottom of my car as I came to a stop. I also noticed that my shifter was not connected to anything because I could move it in one big circle. The link to the gallery shows it all as my friend and I removed my tranny. You can see the output shaft is snapped, the shifter is bent, and the tailhousing is F***ed. I was hoping that someone could help me out. I don't have lots of cash. I would like to know if I can buy just the tailhousing, where, and how much. I also would like to rebiuld my tranny with better synchos, shift forks, and so on. I'll need to get an output shaft and I noticed that my input shaft is a little worn out do to a bad pilot bushing (I am now using a bearing that came with the spec stage IV kit). Where can I get these things and how much do you think a tranny shop will charge for the labor? I was also wondering if my drive shaft is still good if I pull what's left of my output shaft out. I noticed that it had a few scraches on it. Will this cause a vibation, or make it too weak? My car has had a vibration in it that's really bad around 75mph on the highway that I've never been able to figure out. Any thoughts on what that might be are welcome. Thanks everyone.

Click here to view pictures of the damage

Last edited by Rallycourt; 05-24-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The yoke on the propshaft is not salvagable. I would not spend too much money on that trans either. If it needs a rebuild you will have to spend those $ plus the broken parts I think you are in replacement box range. BTW this is secondary damage what else was going on in the driveline? Did you have vibration (awhile) before this? Was the rear mount damaged?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

The Output shaft was probably already twisted and caused the vibration.

What rearend are you running? You wouldn't happen to be using a locker would you?

Brad
Old 05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your power level?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

what happened inside the bellhousing? the clutch looks brand new?

a friend of mine is having his rebuilt by my trans guy for 1100.. his did the same thing exept blew out the bottom. getting all the goodies you want included. pm me if that is in your pricerange.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

What's the deal for real. Just for a basic rebuild and new hydraulics I have been quoted like 2000-2500.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Teching In

I just have a few bolton's. 4.10's, JBA headers, chip, ect. I'm not running a locker eather. I did have the vibration awhile before this but it was only noticable at hight speeds. The rear mound was fine and didn't find any other damage under the car. squintz palladoris you think that the output shaft could have been the cause of the vibration. Is it likely to twist the output shaft with street tires and 321RWHP, 331RWTQ?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
What's the deal for real. Just for a basic rebuild and new hydraulics I have been quoted like 2000-2500.
if youre speaking to me the deal is you have been getting bent over on $.. either that or you are including paying someone to remove and reinstall. This guy can obviously do that himself.

again, whats the deal with the damage inside the bellhousing?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Teching In

The bellhousing is another mistery of mine. One day a came to a fast stop and heard something rattle around in my tranny like rocks. It happened for about three days and before I could get it on the lift to look inside it stopped. I pulled out my tranny to replace the clutch that was slipping and found all of this damage inside. funny thing is I had alot of people look at it and no one can figure out what it was. My old setup had no missing parts at all, springs rivets, everything was still there. I don't know what the hell happened!?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jesus.. You did that with your power level... It's all that speed shifting you did...

We have 1 or 2 Extra T-56's laying around.. We might be able to sell 1 to you, however it due for a re-build, as it runs fine but sometimes grinds 1 - 4th.. The syncro's are out... Came out of a 98 Trans Am.... It's a non Tremic, it's a Borg W. Trans..

Clint
Old 05-25-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
if youre speaking to me the deal is you have been getting bent over on $.. either that or you are including paying someone to remove and reinstall. This guy can obviously do that himself.

again, whats the deal with the damage inside the bellhousing?
Well these are just quotes. The R&R is like 250. So i don't think that is all that much. I guess I need to look around a little more. It would be too much of a hasle to do the R&R myself. I don't have a truck to take it anywhere and what not.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rallycourt
squintz palladoris you think that the output shaft could have been the cause of the vibration. Is it likely to twist the output shaft with street tires and 321RWHP, 331RWTQ?
Mine did the same thing. Vibrated at high speeds. I did not grenade mine tho. I went to pull the driveshaft to have it checked n found the problem.
Had to use a hammer to tap the DS so that the yoke would slide into the tranny further to get it away from the pinion yoke. Then had to tapp it to get it back out.
It had been vibrating eversince it was a bolton car. I'm glad it never broke like yours did.

A new Mainshaft will run ya between 200 n 250. Not sure on the Shift extension housing.
I do have a Bell housing I will not be using in the future if you want to replace yours.

777 for 2 grand you can get a nice kit from G-force. It has their 9310 mainshaft with the triplecone scyncros, Billet slider keys, and a C5 gearset (required to run their mainshaft).

Brad
Old 05-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Launching!

as far as your bellhousing goes, I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago, but i didnt hve a spec clutch, i had a hays clutch, and they used rivets to apply weights to the pressure plate when it was balanced, well, some of the rivets let loose and went through my bellhousing. look around for something like that maybe? is it possible a finger broke off the pressure plate and went through?

Quick Reply: Broke my T-56 tailhousing....Need lots of help!