Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slipping Clutch or in need of Drill Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slipping Clutch or in need of Drill Mod

I notice that when shift hard and fast from 1st to 2nd it takes maybe .5 to 1 second after my foot is completely off the clutch for the clutch to fully hook up. It may do this when shifting hard and fast into other gears, but 1-2 is where I notice it the most.

The other day i was thinking it felt more like a weak PP. Then I quit thinking old school with mechanical clutch linkage and thought it might be Hydraulic Clutch related. If I understand the drill mod it simply allows for increased fluid flow allowing quicker engagement and disengagement of the clutch. Am I correct in this assumption or is the drill mod only helpful for disengagement allowing quicker/easier shifting? Or is it likely my clutch is going out at 30K?
Old 05-28-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Could be either or both. The drill mod will improve the quickness of engagement between clutch and flywheel. But your stock clutch could be shot too. Do the drill mod first and see if it helps. You need it anyway.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry

I slipped my clutch trying to do a 2nd gear burn out... actually done this 4 times in the last two years! I don't beat on my car!!! This was just me playing around.
I start in 1st and dump it at 3000 RPM bring it up to 5500 RPM's holding the break a bit and clutch it, shift it into 2nd real fast...off the clutch and floored it while hitting the breaks slightly. Thought I was doing a great burn out only to see no tire marks in the rear mirror and then the smell hits me....

I'm thinking our hydraulics are to blame for burnning up our clutches!!
I have read of countless people putting new clutches in only to replace them again after only a few thousand miles. I'm thinking the slow *** hydraulics is the reason we burn up $1000 dollar clutches. I'm going to do the drill mod and install a new $400 GM "stock" Z06 clutch Assy. I'm not spending $1400 on a fancy aftermarker clutch if my hydraulic system is only going to burn it up.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSmith
I slipped my clutch trying to do a 2nd gear burn out... actually done this 4 times in the last two years! I don't beat on my car!!! This was just me playing around.
I start in 1st and dump it at 3000 RPM bring it up to 5500 RPM's holding the break a bit and clutch it, shift it into 2nd real fast...off the clutch and floored it while hitting the breaks slightly. Thought I was doing a great burn out only to see no tire marks in the rear mirror and then the smell hits me....

I'm thinking our hydraulics are to blame for burnning up our clutches!!
I have read of countless people putting new clutches in only to replace them again after only a few thousand miles. I'm thinking the slow *** hydraulics is the reason we burn up $1000 dollar clutches. I'm going to do the drill mod and install a new $400 GM "stock" Z06 clutch Assy. I'm not spending $1400 on a fancy aftermarker clutch if my hydraulic system is only going to burn it up.
I'm thinking of the Z06 for replacement also, I just hope its not real soon. Send me a PM when you get it in and let me know what you think.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also be interested to here what you think of the Z06 clutch assy.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

The Z06 clutch is excellent if you don't plan on too much rwhp or track time with sticky tires.