ChittyChitty Bang BANG! Advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ChittyChitty Bang BANG! Advice appreciated

Hiya,

I need some advice, Here's my situation:
My 02 TA has sat since Aug 2003, and has only been fired just to keep the seals moist, and has 2600 miles on the car.

Ive read the posts, and have seen issues such as bad oil pumps/ pump seals, collapsed lifters, bent pushrods, and piston slap.
I'm not sure which I have.
Its more of a harsh lifter tick, which dulls after time, but its still there.
(Tinny tick) (The dealer we bought it from said it had special mechanical lifters - uh huh...right)

When I started the car up last week, It banged so hard, I thought the piston mashed the valves, and continued to bang violently for about a minute...then quieted down to its normal self.
(I'm thinking the lifter wasn't pumped up with oil due to the long sit)

The car is going out of warranty in June of this year.
Is this something I should take to a GM garage and have them diagnose, or should I try to tackle this?
If I should, What are the common things I should look for first, and what components would be weak links that I should swap out while in there?
Gently pull the motor, and repair?

If a GM garage is the answer, what garage handles these items intelligently?
(Dealers in my area are a bunch of )

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

C
Old 05-28-2005, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its still under warrenty, I would take it in and have them look at it. But as for the tick, yeah that is a common LS1 thing. Both of mine have done the tick thing.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TrickyTransAm;

I've have had 3 new or nearly new GM vehicles since 1992, and I have had my share of GM dealership warranty bullsh-t; until recently.

I had to take my 2002 T/A into a St. Louis dealer for a rear engine oil leak.
I was very pleasantly suprised with the customer service and the professionalism of the servicing mechanic!

I think that GM is focusing on changing the experience the warranty customer has.

One thing I would say is most definately take that car in for warranty service!

Some things to do:

(1) Regardless of the miles on the engine, have you changed your oil?
Twice a year with dino oil, Once a rear with synthetic?
If not, change it now before you get it in for service - it will help your position with the warranty claim.

(2) It seems that you have issues or heard of issues with your local dealerships. Some suggestions:
{a} Are the GM dealerships unionized? If so, you can call the local machinist union and speak to someone there. Get them on your side by saying you want to have your car serviced at a Pontiac dealership that treats their men fairly. {or some other pro-union, feel-good BS }
You'll be suprised at how helpful the union hall will be in identifying good dealerships. Remember - a shop with few union problems is probably a shop where the mechanics feel good about working, and working on your car.
{b} You can try the local BBB, and see which shop has the fewest complaints.
- Not a reliable as it used to be as fewer people bother making complaints to a BBB these days.
{c} Search the Internet for a local fbody enthusiast board. Join, introduce yourself, and ask for recommendations. Sometimes a board member is a mechanic at a local dealership. You can bet a local board member will want to keep his reputation! You can ask for a specific mechanic if you make an appointment ahead of time.

(3)Take your post from here with the description of the problem and present it to your service writer.

By all means do not attempt the repair while it is under warranty!
Not because you can't do it, but by gawd, GM owes you a warranty repair and you damn well should collect on it!

Now go get your baby fixed.

AND DRIVE THE DAMNED THING MORE OFTEN!

Last edited by fnbrowning; 05-29-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

id take it to gm simply because you can its waranteed..
Old 05-30-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

FNbrowning,
I will take your advice and take it to a dealer - but WHO?
I can't even get my GMC's windshield seals replaced "Because ive put a bug guard on, changing the aerodynamics of my truck making the seals flap in the wind - oh the tonneau cover doesnt help either"
Or, "the grinding of the gears is normal, ignore the crunching sound"
I have no idea if they are union or not. I don't believe they would be.
All I know is, it took them 5 attempts to seal the oil pan on my tahoe, and it took me 4 different dealers to finally diagnose my 99 GMC's appetite for axle bearings, which...they didnt fix...but they at least know what it is.
On my mom's 98 bonnie - after hydrolocking 3 times.. "We only replace whats broke"...12K miles later, rod thru the block.
I won't even go into the incident with my 96 bird and the bald tires when I picked it up.
GRRRR!!! ok...I'll stop ranting.

Yes sir, I have changed the oil. I changed it every time before I drive it for the season (Or every 3K miles if I drove it frequently), and I switched to Mobil 1 syn, at around 1800 miles.

Yea they owe me a repair - but how much damage will be done getting that repair?
If they screw up, they're not out anything, i'm out everything.
Thats what i'm most concerned with.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:08 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you need to find the next closest dealership.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Although "ticking" is "normal" - my wife's 98 Montana has had what sounds like bad lifter noise on cold starts since about 20,000; now has 106,000 with no oil consumption or other problems - "banging" is not normal under any circumstances. Just pick a dealer and start with them; if they don't take care of you, then another until you get it taken care of.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

More of a Slap BANG RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT...TAT_TiCK TAt Tick...tick tick tick tick.... which quiets down until all you can hear is the injector noise.

I was advised to check a dealer in Midland, and see what they can do for me.

If its something out of the ordinary, I'll post it, as someone else may have the same issue as I.