Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch engagement too high!!! makeing clutch slip!!! help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch engagement too high!!! makeing clutch slip!!! help!!!

recently i had my transmission rebuilt at lgmotorsports. when i took the car in my spec III was working flawlessly. it disengaged all the way AND engaged all the way. the engagement was about half way up the pedal travel

well, i get the car back, they've installed a new throwout bearing and slave cylinder while they were in there. now the clutch engages at almost the top of the pedal travel.

the clutch is not engaging all the way!!! it slips real bad in 5th and 6th gear. i don't believe the clutch is messed up as it was still chattering and grabing hard on the way to the shop before the tranny rebuild. i just think it isn't engaging all the way.

what could cause this??

lg said i just needed an adjusable master but i never did before?? does this seem right?? also suggested the master might need to be bleeded (which they said you can not do, wtf?). this would make the clutch not disengage though. i have the oppisite problem.

please help!!!

Last edited by KGSloan; 05-29-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RAM Powergrip HD engages really high on the pedal... but it doesn't slip. I only have to push the pedal down maybe 3 or 4 inches before it engages. But I don't have any slippage problems, and I have an adjustable master. I think the adjustable master would definitely help bring your engagement down further. If you don't want one of those, I've heard people shimming the slave cylinder to change the engagement point as well.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you may have a shim in there and don't need one? The slave being too close to the clutch will cause a high pedal and can prevent a full clutch release due to the TO bearing still pushing on the pp fingers even after the pedal is all the way up. In other words the TO bearing is "bottomed out" in the slave.
Call LG and ask the installer if he put a shim behind the slave.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

i'll ask lg when they re-open on tuesday.

i do know, however, that the shim was used before when the clutch was first installed. it worked perfect before with it in there.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

I had this exact same problem with my stage 4 spec and i took out my shim and now it works fine again. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: clutch engagement too high!!! makeing clutch slip!!! help!!!