Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 pops out of third

Old 05-30-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 pops out of third

Does anybody have this problem? My dads just started doing this at 13,000 miles. We heard there was an updated 3-4 shift fork to correct this. I also heard that 01s and 02s came with it from the factory. His is an 02 Firehawk. Anybody heard anything? Also, When the transmission is out for repair, going to stick a Centerforce dual friction clutch in, anybody got one, how do you like it?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There ya go
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/328653-poping-out-third.html
As for the clutch, seems most folks aren't very fond of the Centerforce, if the car is stock (or pretty close) try the Zo6 clutch, (that's what came in it stock in 02) held up to my heavy right foot and ham fisted shifting.
Although with 13k on the clock it shouldn't really need a clutch replacement
Old 05-30-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It does have the Z06 Clutch from the factory, its not too bad on the street, but with drag radials and one trip to the track, it will slip ever shift and get so stick that you cant dissengage your gear. Ive had good luck with Centerforce DF clutches in my older muscle cars. Does anyone know about some type of restrictor valve in the line between the master and the slave cylinder? Its supposed to let the fluid return slowly to the master which would make your clutch slip and not be so hard on the transmission or rearend. Does this even exist? or is somebody making up stories?

Heres a video of it working fine on the street:
http://hagen-racing.com/videos/2002%20TA%20Firehawk.wmv
Except for now it pops out of third after my last trip to the track.
The car is stock except for gears.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The restriction in the line, to remove that, just search for "drill mod" you'll find a boatload of info on how to do it
As for the clutch, you didn't mention drag radials, but from what I've read here the aftermarket clutches seem to have some problems, the Centerforce works well for the older muscle cars, but doesn't do that well for the newer ones (don't know why just again what I've read)
To see some of the problems with the other clutches a search on Spec or Ram clutch will give you alot of info to aid in the selection of a new clutch.
The new Textralia clutch seems to be working well, but @ $900+ it's quite expensive, you're the best judge if it's worth spending that much for a clutch
Old 05-30-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

syrncos'

Search this Thread