Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

randomly doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default randomly doesn't start

the other day I was washing my car and then when I went to leave it wouldn't start. So then I pushed it out and left it in the parking lot for like 1 1/2 and came back to find it started right up. I went up to school to play bball with it. I get there, and parked it. Then I tried starting it up to move to another entrance of the school (doors were locked at the entrance) and it wouldn't start. well the first time it will start and die seconds later like it gets choked out. then it doesn't start but turns over. Then after waiting over an hour it will start again just fine. So I played bball and came back out. I started right up!!!

What the heck could be the problem with this thing? I don't really feel like waiting an hour or two each time to start the thing up, lol.

My car is a 97 camaro 3.8l with about 97k miles. Spark plug wires were changed at around 86k and plugs at about 93k.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Launching!

I checked the fuel pressure today, it gets up to 40 psi at idle the first time. After warming it up, then shutting it off for 15 minutes. The car would start up but the pressure drops from 40psi to nothing in about 10 seconds and the car dies. It is weird why when cold it will start right up and hold 40 psi but then when you start it after sitting for 10-15 minutes the car will start then loose all its pressure.

Any ideas? I am stumped.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

fuel pump is going out, that is what happens wioth gm's, they never seem to just go out, they will act intermitenly. Anyways this happend to me on a cavalier i used to own, it would run fine, the all of the sudden, you would shut it off, and wouldnt start back up, or I would be driving, and it would just die. Let it set for a few minutes, then it would start right back up again, and run fine, i am willing to put money on your fuel pump
Old 05-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Launching!

that is what I am starting to think as well. I am just trying to get as many possibilies as possible. Hate to slap $125 down for a walbro if it is something different than the pump.