Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

o2 Removal/Install Help

Old 05-31-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 Removal/Install Help

Newbie here fellas so bear with me on this!

I'm going to remove both my o2's off my 2000 SS tomorrow and have a couple questions.

1. Whats the best tool for removing the old o2's from my pacesetter LT's?

2. What part of the o2 do I need to grab and turn without damaging it?

3. How tight on the reinstall of the new o2 does it need to be without damaging it?

Any addtional help or advice would help as well. Thanks to anyone that helps me out!
Old 05-31-2005, 04:22 AM
Launching!

They make an O2 sensor socket that will slide down over the top of the sensor. You can get it at any parts store. Since you have headers though you won't even need the socket. I have pacesetters also and just use a West Virginia socket set ( crescent wrench). Get under there and look at the O2. You can't miss where to turn it at.The torque spec is 31 ft lbs for the O2's but I just use the German torque scale of goooooodentite on them. Really a simple simple job.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 0rion
They make an O2 sensor socket that will slide down over the top of the sensor. You can get it at any parts store. Since you have headers though you won't even need the socket. I have pacesetters also and just use a West Virginia socket set ( crescent wrench). Get under there and look at the O2. You can't miss where to turn it at.The torque spec is 31 ft lbs for the O2's but I just use the German torque scale of goooooodentite on them. Really a simple simple job.
If its trqued at 31 ft lbs. can I take it out with hand tools? i.e a crescent wrench?
I've half assed attempted this before and grabbed the o2 in the wrong place and ended up cracking the metal part. Where specifically do I need to grab it with the crescent wrench?
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else wanna thow their 2 cents in?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Banned

22mm wrench, heating the base of the 02 sensor before removal may help, it can save the threads too.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
22mm wrench, heating the base of the 02 sensor before removal may help, it can save the threads too.
thanks man, If I just warm the car up a little before I remove them will that loosen them up?
So you're saying don't use a crescent wrench?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to Auto Zone and rented their kit(cost15 bucks; refunded upon return) it had three sockets, one 7/8, one 22mm, and an offset 7/8 that went on the end of a ratchet.The sockets were cut out on one side to allow the wire to pass through when your turning the sensor.Be patient, and heat the thing up and it will eventually come out.$.02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: o2 Removal/Install Help