Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should be my safety cap (hp/tq) for stock internals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What should be my safety cap (hp/tq) for stock internals?

I have a '98 TA with ~86,500 miles on it.
I'm guessing it puts down ~410-430 rwhp thru the auto and 12 bolt (I can't get exact numbers until the end of the month when my FLP tranny shows up).
I finally have faith in my entire drivetrain and valvetrain. Now the weak link is the factory internals. I have a dual stage NX wet kit piped up now, and am trying to figure out a good safe number to stop at until I can save more pennies for a forged shortblock assembly. I have a Racetronix setup and Delphi 37# injectors, and am not overly concerned about lack of fuel. Just the physical limits of the pistons and rods.

I know material failure is all probability, and there is no "this is safe, and this isn't" point. But what has everyone successfully run on their cars?

Thanks in advance for everyones input
Old 06-01-2005, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

How high do you rev it? How long have you been running it with aftermarket cam and the higher redline? Do you have stronger (ARP or katech) rod bolts installed?

If I were in your situation (which I hope to be in a couple/few years) I wouldn't feel 'safe' spraying more than a 100 shot. Other than higher engine speeds and rod bolts, what you worry about next and when considering how much power you are making is the stock pistons/rings.

I'm sure you will also get a response or two from people who have run h/c/n2o on a stock shortblock. I see people running 550 rwhp on a stock bottom end, but I don't know how long they do it.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

I installed the heads and cam last year in April. I've put probably 3,000 miles and 30 track passes on the engine since then.
I rev it high. The 231/237 cam saw peak HP last year at 6500 rpms. I have my shift rpm at 6550 because I don't want to rev higher with stock rod bolts. Once I tear the motor apart and replace some more stuff, I hope I can shift at 6700. But the future doesn't count in this conversaton, does it
So somewhere between 525 and 550 would be a safe point to stop then.