Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

was this a Syclone/Typhoon?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 09:21 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question was this a Syclone/Typhoon?!?!?

So I am coming home on South 232 the other night, probably like a week ago. I am on my way back from New Hope, so the streets during midweek are deserted. I am minding my own business doing a lazy 45 mph, and headlights show up in my mirror, coming up fast. This vehicle comes up behind me, tailgating the **** out of me. It had the front end profile of an early 90's GMC truck. Later, after the events of the evening, it appeared to be a standard cab, small S-10/sonoma looking truck that was either black or dark grey.

Anyway so we are moving along, and I am getting pissed off as this guy has now been sitting about 2 ft from my bumper for the last 3 or 4 miles. so all of a sudden this guy drops back, and obviously floors it, starts coming at me to pass, so I get on it, 100%, despite my aging tires, and we were barreling down the road at probably 120 or so with me walking him, but only a LITTLE bit. It took me FOREVER to stop his advance. He never got ahead of me, but I hit it probably a full two or three seconds after him. Anyway, this thing was fast. As I was approaching 125 and my g/f was having an anneurism @ such a fast truck, he was falling back but only by a small margin. I wasn't only inching ahead, but I also wasn't leaving him like he was in Park. It was just a slow pull.

After this, he got back behind me when I guess he had had enough, and did not try to pass again. I didn't see the truck directly, because he chose to put his high beams in my eyes the rest of the ride back, but when he turned off, I did see that it was a small truck, and I think that's what the syclone's were, in the equivalent of the S-10 chassis or something? Anyway let me know what you think.

FWIW I am probably rocking about 335RWHP in a 1998 Z28.

Brad
Old 06-02-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, those little things are fast. they have a turbocharged V6, run 0-60 of about 4.5-4.6 sec and mid 13's stock.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
So I am coming home on South 232 the other night, probably like a week ago. I am on my way back from New Hope, so the streets during midweek are deserted. I am minding my own business doing a lazy 45 mph, and headlights show up in my mirror, coming up fast. This vehicle comes up behind me, tailgating the **** out of me. It had the front end profile of an early 90's GMC truck. Later, after the events of the evening, it appeared to be a standard cab, small S-10/sonoma looking truck that was either black or dark grey.

Anyway so we are moving along, and I am getting pissed off as this guy has now been sitting about 2 ft from my bumper for the last 3 or 4 miles. so all of a sudden this guy drops back, and obviously floors it, starts coming at me to pass, so I get on it, 100%, despite my aging tires, and we were barreling down the road at probably 120 or so with me walking him, but only a LITTLE bit. It took me FOREVER to stop his advance. He never got ahead of me, but I hit it probably a full two or three seconds after him. Anyway, this thing was fast. As I was approaching 125 and my g/f was having an anneurism @ such a fast truck, he was falling back but only by a small margin. I wasn't only inching ahead, but I also wasn't leaving him like he was in Park. It was just a slow pull.

After this, he got back behind me when I guess he had had enough, and did not try to pass again. I didn't see the truck directly, because he chose to put his high beams in my eyes the rest of the ride back, but when he turned off, I did see that it was a small truck, and I think that's what the syclone's were, in the equivalent of the S-10 chassis or something? Anyway let me know what you think.

Brad
Yes sir, u just had a rare occurance heh. Most of those sy/ty's have either been totalled or people just dont know what they have.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Sy/tys move out very nice stock and take to mods very very well.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Yes, I believe you encountered a Syclone. They are rare to find, but there is a young fellow that owns one in my neighborhood.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

you can usually tell by the slight ground effects and the red badging but obviously you couldnt, due to this guy being a dick. Arent they AWD also???i saw one about 4 months ago out where i go to college
Old 06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

I would still love to have either a Syclone or Typhoon. The Syclone is the S10 and the Typhoon is the Jimmy/Blazer body.

Yes they are AWD.

Brian
Old 06-02-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

very easy to run 11's in a TY/SY
Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya it most likely was, you're lucky you didn't tangle with him from a stop. Too bad the guy was being a dick. He might have just had his fog lights on though, a lot of guys drive with them on, our old headlights really don't work well. There's only 1 that I know of thats Gray, don't remember where he's located, but he isn't stock and would've walked you. It's very rare to find a stock sy/ty. Extremely easy to get into the 12's with the them. Only 3K Sy's made. Ya they're AWD, with my mods I should have low 4 sec. 0-60 and run mid 12's. I'll check syty.net and see if it's anyone on there. The trucks are very spread out across the country, even quite a few outside the country. So there's most likely a truck near you, just hard to pick them out.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum

Brad
It might of been an S10 with an LS1 in it. Some guys are doing that. Obviously that would make a fast/fun little p/u. Good job keeping him at bay though!!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The prob with those is traction, thats why they made the Sy and Ty AWD. The test mules were rear wheel but they were just burn out machines. Imagine close to the same hp as a camaro and more torque, with almost no weight in the rear. What do the LS1's put down torque wise again, I'm guessing it isn't over 400?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Ya it most likely was, you're lucky you didn't tangle with him from a stop. Too bad the guy was being a dick. He might have just had his fog lights on though, a lot of guys drive with them on, our old headlights really don't work well. There's only 1 that I know of thats Gray, don't remember where he's located, but he isn't stock and would've walked you. It's very rare to find a stock sy/ty. Extremely easy to get into the 12's with the them. Only 3K Sy's made. Ya they're AWD, with my mods I should have low 4 sec. 0-60 and run mid 12's. I'll check syty.net and see if it's anyone on there. The trucks are very spread out across the country, even quite a few outside the country. So there's most likely a truck near you, just hard to pick them out.

^x2.

As for what Sy/Ty's put down stock, I've heard many times that they were underrated at 285bhp, and 360tq. A few of the GN guys have one, and I've seen a 13.1 stock from a guy...crazy.

An LS1 in a S10 would be a nightmare for traction..
Old 06-02-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With a chip and intake on 18lbs (stock is 14.7) i put down 452torque to all 4 wheels.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:59 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

wow so these trucks are SERIOUS business! Well I can tell you for sure I ain't runnin any mid 12's yet, so I am guessing this guy was completely stock, or was just toying with me. how embarassing if it was the latter. LOL

At the end we were coming up on a turn so he may have just gradually slowed and left me in front, which would be the smart thing to do anyway since he was in the oncoming traffic lane on a double yellow line. hey GhettoTY if you find him on your forum tell him I want a look under that hood! Never seen a Syclone in person before. My g/f (who was with me) said she knew a guy who had one in her high school (Council Rock, in Bucks County, PA) and constantly told her that his truck would walk all over here LT1 T/A. She didn't believe him, but I guess he was right! But she says that guy had a Blazer version, so I am guessing a Typhoon. Better read up on these speedsters huh?!

Brad
Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya thats the Ty, they run 14.1's stock, with just a real good tune you can get them into the 13's. www.syty.net is really the only forum, real good info if you feel like cruisin around.What do ya drive and when was this and I'll see if it was anyone on there. If anything I can tell them where it was and someone around there could tell me who's truck it was. Even if the guy isn't registered we still know all the trucks in our state.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:24 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Ya thats the Ty, they run 14.1's stock, with just a real good tune you can get them into the 13's. www.syty.net is really the only forum, real good info if you feel like cruisin around.What do ya drive and when was this and I'll see if it was anyone on there. If anything I can tell them where it was and someone around there could tell me who's truck it was. Even if the guy isn't registered we still know all the trucks in our state.
This was... about a week ago, probably around 9/9:30pm going South on 232 (Second Street Pike) from New Hope, PA. I was driving my Silver 98 Z28. And the guy my g/f knows had the SUV version. What I saw was not an SUV, it was the Syclone truck. When he turned, he went into a cheap gas place (forget name... liberty, citgo, something like that) in Richboro, PA. (Bucks County) I shoulda followed him in and checked him out, but I was pretty pissed from being tailgated the rest of the way home. Hopefully I can find out who he is and we can be cool so he can give me a ride in his truck!

I will definetely check out the forum tomorrow.

Brad
Old 06-03-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try to find out who it was for ya, at least I should be able to find out who's truck it is and whats done to it. The boost launches in these things is unreal.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

I used to valet park cars while in college and got to drive a GMC Typhoon. I was hella impressed by that turbo kick. Did a street start in it @ WOT for about 200 ft. Not impressed by the brakes though. Another ride that I was impressed by was a little V6 Golf. I don't care much for 6ers but it made that little VW sing. The VW was brand new and driven by a some rich little hot chick.

That Typhoon makes for one fun suv.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an encounter with a Syclone here in Orange County, CA. about a year ago. I already knew about their potential, so I wasn't surprised by how fast this little truck was. It looked exactly like the one in this article, except for the cowl hood.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._sy/index.html

We went from about 30-100 mph, and I was able to pull only one and a half cars on him. I had mods in sig, and the G5X2 cam which dynoed 407rwhp and 368rwtq. We went for a second time from like 20-80 mph with the same results.
We chatted for a bit at a stop light and gave props to each other's rides and went our separate ways. I can't recall what mods he had but I think he said it was I/E and more boost.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A syclone with those mods would be really close to 12's, and could hit 12's with the right tuner. Thats a mid 13 Ty.