Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does'nt go into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does'nt go into gear.

I went to the track the other night and run about 5 times. On the last it went good but on the way back I stopped at the time shack and it would'nt go into any gear. It was very stiff, the shifter. it felt internal. So I got it in third and made it back, shut it off and let it cool.
I got back in it and it was still the same, so I tried breaking it free. Moveing it back and forth.
It was like that all the way home then I got it to go into 4 then 5 and 6th. Took it home and parked it.
The next morning it broke free, like it did'nt happen,it worked fine, running or not.
So I drove it. No sooner than I got to the end of the street, it jambed up again, so I took it back to the shop.
Sitting still it works fine. But moving it jams up.
Is it a clutch problem.
If its internal would'nt it do it all the time.

The rez is full & clean fluid. Peddle feels normal(presure).
I have a spec 3, billet f/w, new GM slave/master. With about 4000 mi and 40 track passes. I bought it 1 yr ago.
I drove it about 400 city mi, break in.
The car only has 40K on it.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by JRracing; 06-03-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Hey bud... that doesnt sound like a clutch problem really. More so a shift fork or syncro /slider key problem.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydrolics.....

Read my posts on the proper procedure to get your clutch working again..

CLint
Old 06-02-2005, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

I concure!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
Hey bud... that doesnt sound like a clutch problem really. More so a shift fork or syncro /slider key problem.
Ya, I thought so to but it will go into gear ok when sitting still. And I did'nt feel it on the track at all it was after the run. Will it not go into gear at all if the fork is bent and when it does it, all gears are hard to get it in. That would mean all the forks or sliders are shot. Thers no way I bent all of them.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=HUGGER ORANGE SS]Hydrolics.....

I can't find it. what is the title of the thread. I think its a hydrolic problem also. I did'nt do the drill mod either if that helps. What should I do to check it. Bleed the sytem or what.
Also my briaded line is close to the headers and burnt the rubber foam around the out side of the line. Will this have something to do with it. I will wrap it in header wrap and tuck it behind the heat sheild.
I need this running soon I will work day and night till its fixxed. Thanks fellas, for any help you give me.

When it works, it works smooth. But when it does'nt its all binded up and hard to get it in any gear.

The peddle presure feels OK.
When I get it in a gear , it seems to disengage OK if its in gear all the way.

Last edited by JRracing; 06-02-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by (JRracing 24
Ya, I thought so to but it will go into gear ok when sitting still. And I did'nt feel it on the track at all it was after the run. Will it not go into gear at all if the fork is bent and when it does it, all gears are hard to get it in. That would mean all the forks or sliders are shot. Thers no way I bent all of them.
Ah... didnt catch that.. yeah could definately be a hydraulic or clutch disengaging issue.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

I also need to see a how to manual. To see how it comes out. Should I remove the line at the trans or remove the master and rez with the trans.
Also is there an easy way to get to the top bolts in bell housing. It looks like a pain in the @ss. Maybe a swivel & long extension. Looks like a nuckle buster.
Its down to that right now. I have every thing else off.
My helm manual just shows taking the bell housing bolts out, then lowering it down a little to get the vent tube off, then its out. I'm going to autozone to try and get the line remover.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Just remove the line from the slave. If I really don't want to open the hydraulic system, I just back the tranny out and lower it enough to get the two bolts holding the slave on and then slide the slave off of the input shaft.

The bolt at the ~1:00 on the tranny is the worst one. I use a combination of 2 10" and a 3" extensions. The ratchet handle should be back by the extension housing/shifter. I also remove the tranny cross member and lower the jack so the front of the motor points up some. There is also a metal tab that holds the vent tube on that bolt as well that makes it more difficult to remove. I do not re-install that tab.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, that sounds helpful.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here you go...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/329464-whats-my-problem.html

[QUOTE=(JRracing 24]
Originally Posted by HUGGER ORANGE SS
Hydrolics.....

I can't find it. what is the title of the thread. I think its a hydrolic problem also. I did'nt do the drill mod either if that helps. What should I do to check it. Bleed the sytem or what.
Also my briaded line is close to the headers and burnt the rubber foam around the out side of the line. Will this have something to do with it. I will wrap it in header wrap and tuck it behind the heat sheild.
I need this running soon I will work day and night till its fixxed. Thanks fellas, for any help you give me.

When it works, it works smooth. But when it does'nt its all binded up and hard to get it in any gear.

The peddle presure feels OK.
When I get it in a gear , it seems to disengage OK if its in gear all the way.

Hydrolics are your problem..... Do the Procedure in the link above and this will solve your problem... Also do the Drill MOD

Clint
Old 06-03-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car does this also. When at a stop light i can row through all the gears but sometimes when driving it wont slide straight into the gate and instead feel like its bumping against something. Not quite a grinding. The clutch doesnt stick to the floor. Is that what your experiencing basically. Very interesting thread
Old 06-03-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Clint,Thanks I seen that earlier.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Yes, its very close to what your's is doing. But I do have fairly new parts, I just think one of them is broke or something????
Old 06-03-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Huggers post is more about the hydraulics getting to hot, but I dont think his symptoms are the same. I still think its something internal. Just b/c it works when its sitting still doesnt mean it not internal. The tranny is always spinning internally when moving whether you are in neutral or the clutch is engaged. My bet is on the slider keys and sycros...
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, but the car rolls down the road OK. Last night I tried putting the stock shifter on it and it was up on 4 jack stands in the air. It went in all the gears with car off so I started it and worked through all the gears, then It jambed up again. I'll have it out tonight, we'll see then.
It will drive fine when It Is In gear, it just binds up tring to get it in another gear.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya mine is the same, i thought it was maybe my hurst shifter or short stick but i doubt it.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Here are some pics of the clutch it has some pretty good hot spots on the F/W and the P/P is about worn down to the metal rivets. There was no spacer behind the slave either. The slave looks OK I need to watch it work visually.

Sorry I'm not very good at this picture thing. I don't know why it turns out like this.

Last edited by JRracing; 06-03-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

What do you guys think?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

I dont know what to say about the clutch but the picture thing, if you use photobucket, you have to wait for the pics to fully load or else they'll chop off like that. Dont know if thats the case, just thought Id add it

Quick Reply: Does'nt go into gear.