Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What was the 1st year that a factory CD player controlled a factory 12 disc changer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What was the 1st year that a factory CD player controlled a factory 12 disc changer?

I have a '95 Formula and it came with a CD player (7 band eq) and it was pre-wired for a CD changer (which wasn't an option until '96). Anyway, I installed a CD changer changed the head unit to a tape deck (7 band eq) so that I could control the CD changer. I would like to put a CD player (7 band eq) back in the dash and control the CD changer. I know that a 1998 CD player (7 band eq) won't control the CD changer as I tried that already. What year CD player (7 band eq) will work? Will a "Monsoon" CD player (7 band eq) work? :o)

Thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This question has been asked and answered countless times but here goes again. The CD head unit wasn't capable of controlling a CD changer until the middle of the 99 model year. Prior to that only the cassette HU would work with a changer. After the middle of 99, both the CD and cassette HUs could control the changer. 01 and 02 models added the capability to control more than one device attached to the CD changer port on the radio (with the proper adapter). That meant 01 and 02 models could have both a changer and another auxilliary source such as satellite radio or MP3 player and switch between them using the CD/AUX button (Camaro) or CD/Play button (Firebird).
Old 06-03-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
This question has been asked and answered countless times but here goes again. The CD head unit wasn't capable of controlling a CD changer until the middle of the 99 model year. Prior to that only the cassette HU would work with a changer. After the middle of 99, both the CD and cassette HUs could control the changer. 01 and 02 models added the capability to control more than one device attached to the CD changer port on the radio (with the proper adapter). That meant 01 and 02 models could have both a changer and another auxilliary source such as satellite radio or MP3 player and switch between them using the CD/AUX button (Camaro) or CD/Play button (Firebird).
Thanks for the information. I did some more searching and found that out about the 99s. Is the head unit different from a "Monsoon" system. Or should I get a 99 and up cd player from let's say a 2000 Grand Am?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is nothing special about a Monsoon head unit except that it has the Monsoon label on it. It's really just an ordinary Delco radio. The Monsoon system is really all in the external amp and the odd 2-ohm speakers.

That said, be careful about getting a HU from another model of car. Most of them will work fine but, starting in 2000, GM switched some models to double DIN size instead of 1.5 DIN and they also put more of the vehicle electronics (such as alarm systems, OnStar, etc.) into the head unit. These newer style radios use completely different connections from the old GM standard harness and are incompatible with our cars.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is nothing special about a Monsoon head unit except that it has the Monsoon label on it. It's really just an ordinary Delco radio. The Monsoon system is really all in the external amp and the odd 2-ohm speakers.

That said, be careful about getting a HU from another model of car. Most of them will work fine but, starting in 2000, GM switched some models to double DIN size instead of 1.5 DIN and they also put more of the vehicle electronics (such as alarm systems, OnStar, etc.) into the head unit. These newer style radios use completely different connections from the old GM standard harness and are incompatible with our cars.
Cool... that's what I thought about the Monsoon. I am well aware of the large radios GM put in the later model cars. Thanks for your help... you just confirmed my thoughts.