Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny removal w/o Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny removal w/o Jack?

anyone ever done this w/o a tranny jack? I have access to a lift but no jack. I have a couple of friends who are willing to help me get it out? anyone have any problems doing it this way?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it's just you, i pity you. If it's you and like 2-3 friends, good luck, it can be done. Spend the money on the jack, it's worth it.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always removed them with a jack. but I tend to get pissed off when trying to line up the jack at install so what I usually end up doing is laying on my back and lifting it into place. I dont recommend this anyone and its probably the adrenalin pumping through me at this point, but it does work

I did buy a cheap tranny jack from Harbor freight and have used a regular cheapo jack before that to remove them. I've even fabricated brackets and such to the jack to try and keep the alignment, but it never worked.

David
Old 06-03-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll have 4 other people there to help me if I need them. Where can I get a cheap tranny jack?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

just took mine out. Had my car on jackstands and used a regular 2.5ton car jack to support the tranny as I seperated it from the block. Its not TOO heavy you could do it by yourself resting it on your chest but I wouldn't recommend it if you not a physical type of person as im guessing it weighs around a bit over 100lbs..
Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vertigo, since you have yours out, weigh it for us.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Vertigo
just took mine out. Had my car on jackstands and used a regular 2.5ton car jack to support the tranny as I seperated it from the block. Its not TOO heavy you could do it by yourself resting it on your chest but I wouldn't recommend it if you not a physical type of person as im guessing it weighs around a bit over 100lbs..
That's how I do it too. Hey Vertigo, do you have a larger image of that pic that you use as your avatar? I love that

ROCNDAV
Old 06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KALEL
I'll have 4 other people there to help me if I need them. Where can I get a cheap tranny jack?
I bought this for $30 in store.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178

They also have this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=507

which is similar to what I made (just with more adjustemnts).

Just use a cheapo 2 ton jack from pepboys or Autozone

D
Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vertigo
well if one person can get it out with the car on jackstands, I think 4 or 5 could do it on a lift.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the way i always do it is i take all the bolts out then get under it laying on my back and start wiggling it till it pops out and lay it on my chest. then i remove the slave cyl bolts and remove the whole thing and lay the trans on the ground

i usualyput the rear tires on cinderblocks and the front frame on jackstands
Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Launching!

the weight is 150 pounds
Old 06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hope you are good at bench pressing oddly shaped objects. me and a buddy HAVE done it once...it was lots of laughs, followed by 3 weeks of bruised ribs.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I've decided that I'm going to just buy a tranny jack and do it in the garage. I've done it multiple times on a lift with a tall tranny jack. I don't think it will be too hard. any other suggestions to make my life easier, please feel free to give.

And just so we are clear I HAVE ACCESS TO A 4-POST LIFT!! no one mentioned anything pulling the tranny using the lift. When I said tranny jack in my original post I meant one that could go 7 ft up(for using with a lift). this time around I don't have the jack but I can still use the lift if I need it.

Last edited by KALEL; 06-03-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

I just got done pulling mine like 5 minutes ago. The car is on 4 stand and I have a real old tranny jack and just took my time, it came right out. Lower the rear of the trans to get to the top bolts and a real long extension( back by the tail).
Old 06-03-2005, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

My car was on jack stands, I took mine out/in with a reg. car jack (lift pad is about a 4" circle). It was very hard to balance it but it worked. The second time installing it me and my friend got pissed off trying to balance it and pushed the jack out of the way and bench pressed it up there. That was not very easy, it took all the energy out of my allready tired arms and I got covered in fluid.

so yes it can be lifted/slid into place but its hard. Nice equipment is a big help
Old 06-03-2005, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

why the hell you would try and install it with the fluid in it is beyond me hahaha

you can fill it through the shifter hole much easier

cuts and bruises are to be expected when working of any f-body i know becasue my 89 was worse then my 2002

Last edited by jerflash; 06-03-2005 at 09:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-04-2005, 01:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jerflash
why the hell you would try and install it with the fluid in it is beyond me hahaha

you can fill it through the shifter hole much easier

cuts and bruises are to be expected when working of any f-body i know becasue my 89 was worse then my 2002
Well most of the excess leaked out on removal, so I wasnt thinking much more would come out, but it wobbled all over the place when we lifted it up. Why waste good fluid by draining the whole thing.

I did use the shifter box to fill it up, only used about 1/2 qt. before it started pouring all over my floor again
Old 06-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Not bragging or anything, but I took a ~8 gauge aluminum plate about 14 inches wide and 10 inches long, bent it about 45 degrees and drilled a 3/4 in hole in the center for a bolt, then I bolted it to a ac delco 3ton jack, after removing the insert, so it would be stabel and used that to pull the tranny. I have pulled the trans 3 times and put it back in 3 times in under 2 hrs. each time all by myself. It gets eaiser everytime. I have been doing some measurments and trying different things with my clutch to see what the problem is, so that is the reason. Just an idea for anyone who has acess to the material.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

good idea
Old 06-05-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well pulled the tranny and clutch. Lets just say that the pressure plate and flywheel are both really rough. also where the friction disk was making contact with the flywheel, it actually trimmed down the surface of the flywheel(almost like a resurfacing of the flywheel by using the friction disk). Anyone know what the culprit could have been?? I broke it in properly and bled the system. Also updated all the hydraulics, etc. Did not drive the car hard at all. I'll post pics later.

Quick Reply: tranny removal w/o Jack?