Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question about swapping out posi units

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about swapping out posi units

This maybe a stupid question that I think I already know the answer to, but I thought I would ask anyway. My posi unit (torsen) took a crap on me last weekend. I have 3.73s in my current setup. I ended up securing a whole other rearend. The only problem is that it has 2.73s.

The question is...would I have have to redo the gear install if I just put my current ring gear on the new posi and install it back in my current setup? If not, then would I just have to start from scratch or should my pinion gear atleast be ok?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2.73 Rearend uses a 2 Series Differential. Unless you bought a 2 Series 3.73, the differentials are not interchangeable. The rearend will be useless to you and you would be better off looking for a used differential and continue to use the rearend you currently have.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacker
The 2.73 Rearend uses a 2 Series Differential. Unless you bought a 2 Series 3.73, the differentials are not interchangeable. The rearend will be useless to you and you would be better off looking for a used differential and continue to use the rearend you currently have.
My rearend is currently a series 2 also (originally had a 2.73 and I swapped in series 2 3.73's from Richmond)