Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can you mount a DIN sized radio flush into your dash?

Old 06-03-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you mount a DIN sized radio flush into your dash?

Right now I have a Blaukpundt(sp?) head unit in there. I've had it for a couple of years, but I want to upgrade to something nicer(mainly something with a sub control and is XM satellite radio ready). Right now the Blaukpundt radio sticks out a little bit and looks ugly IMO. When I installed it, I remeber there being some sort of support in the back of the radio hole that interfered with it mounting flush. Should I cut this thing off, or do they sell DIN head units that are not so deep?

I want to put in a Pioneer DIN and a half head unit, but it is $299, and I can't find one on sale anywhere(ebay isn't an option on something like this). I think I can find either a Pioneer, Kenwood, or Eclipse DIN unit on sale that will be pretty nice.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy and I just installed a Kenwood totally flush with the dash. We used a Metra mounting kit. There was that bracket thing in the back that would have prevented it from mounting flush but we cut it out with an electric saw. I just moved all wires out of the way and stuck the saw blade in the radio opening and sawed the bracket right off. After that we were able to push the deck far enough back to get the faceplate to mount flush with the dash. You could find a DIN and a half deck that's more shallow or a shallow standard DIN but your selection of units is greatly reduced and the bracket takes literally 5 minutes tops to remove. Just cut it out.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya just cut it. I bent mine back... but will be cutting it when I wire up the new amps.

Search this Thread