Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Blown SS truck and a GT (no, not a 'stang GT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Blown SS truck and a GT (no, not a 'stang GT)

"Kill" 1

I made a rare appearance on the highway tonight as I normally drive on city streets. So...I see a black pancake about a half mile up. I goosed the throttle a bit to catch up. The Ford GT looks like no other car so I immediately knew what it was from roughly a 1/4 mile away.

It looked just like this...no camera with me this time guys, sorry.

The owner was a very cool older gentleman. I'd say mid 60's with his wife (I'm assuming) riding shotgun. I threw him a 5,000rpm rev and gave a big with a cheesy *** grin on my face. He returned the smile and the

We play a little cat-n-mouse for a few miles. I'd drop down a gear and stab the throttle then he'd do the same. He wasn't really up for a all out race. I did show him that the GT's kid brother has some nuts as he vanished in my rear view.

Kill 2

Just after the GT encounter, a Silverado SS blows past me in the left lane. I could hear the distinct sound of a blower. I figured it was a Whipple. Turns out that it was a Radix.

We slowed to around 50mph. I gave him the hit. Not much of one really. I jumped kind of early. There was about 5-7 car lengths by the end of 3rd gear. Went to powershift 4th and missed it horribly. That's a first. I can't recall the last time I missed a gear...probably 2 years or so....and never 4th.

We went again from a dig. I think they are AWD, could be wrong. He pulled me pretty badly out of the hole as I peddled the **** out of it looking for traction. I caught him before hitting 2nd gear. Ended up putting too much ground on him to determine really. Maybe he shut down, not sure.

There were 4 guys in the SS too. I was very impressed with the truck and I told them that. Pretty damned fast. Real cool guys too.

Both runs were off the bottle.

The truck looked like this:

Old 06-03-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn talk about some good action. Nice kills.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good **** dan, sounds like the truck was pretty wicked too.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the visuals...lol...nice kills
Old 06-04-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

good kills... and yes... SS trucks are AWD.

what do you have??
Old 06-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TX_SS

what do you have??
Kenne Bell '03 Cobra with full bolt ons and nitrous. However nitrous was not a factor in the above events.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Thats an awesome picture of a GT. That is definitely a sweet car. Unit, whats your power numbers off the bottle?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Man, I would love to see a Ford GT out on the open road! That must be the coolest feeling to be driving along with one of those bad *** cars, old guy at the wheel and all!!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Unit, whats your power numbers off the bottle?
Well...that's a tough question really. I'm still in "test and tune" mode.

I'm only running 14* of timing, 11.3-11.4 A/F across the board and 16-17psi. It made 550/525 on a Mustang dyno, which are notorious for being lower than a dynojet. That's an extremely non-aggressive tune.

I'll run that tune for a little bit then I'm going to run a couple other tunes...a race tune and a nitrous tune. The race tune will have a ton of timing, probably 23* at 19psi on race gas. Should make ~610rwhp or so on the Mustang Dyno. Nitrous tune will be around 18* at 19psi. I'm not big on bench racing so I'll let you guys know what it really does as opposed to what it should do.

I have some more mods to do in the near future. The cooling system is getting upgraded. I'm still running the stock heat exchanger/intercooler reservoir, etc. That'll help with hotlapped runs.

The SOTP meter tells me that it has 130mph traps in it off the bottle with the current tune.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TRMach1
Man, I would love to see a Ford GT out on the open road! That must be the coolest feeling to be driving along with one of those bad *** cars, old guy at the wheel and all!!
So far I'm 2-0 against GT's. Not sure if I'd really call this one a kill since we really didn't run ***** out. I think it was clear that I had the advantage. I also think it was clear that he had the factor.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

nice **** dan
Old 06-04-2005, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Good kills Dan. When are you goint to throw a tire onto it and see what shell do at the track?
Old 06-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by black_z
Good kills Dan. When are you goint to throw a tire onto it and see what shell do at the track?
Never. The rear end will grenade. Nitto 315's are all she's going to see unless I happen to blow the rear end accidentally. Then she'll get a 9" with 15" bogarts and slicks. I'll have "real" track numbers after I get the race tune in. I can cut high 1.6 low 1.7 60's on the Nittos on a good day so I'll get a pretty accurate depiction of what it's capable of.

A friend, who owns a C5 'vert that traps 120mph, went for a ride with me. I think he was pretty impressed. We both agreed that 130mph isn't out of the realm of possibility the way it sits now without the bottle.

Like I said previously, it's still kind of in that TNT mode...just getting it dialed in.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude your cobra must be a freak or something. 600rwhp is nuts with just the blower swap. i see most cobras around here putting down 550rwhp here at steeda with the same set up. steeda said that cam swap is almost needed to push 600rwhp. unless of course that is in crazy florida though.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
dude your cobra must be a freak or something. 600rwhp is nuts with just the blower swap. i see most cobras around here putting down 550rwhp here at steeda with the same set up. steeda said that cam swap is almost needed to push 600rwhp. unless of course that is in crazy florida though.
Steeda lied to you man. 600rwhp is almost "normal" with all bolt ons, a KB, and an aggressive tune.

I'll get it on the dynojet when it's got the race tune in it as opposed to the Mustang Dyno.

It does feel pretty strong though.

600rwhp is nuts with just the blower swap.
Well...I'm kind of far from "just a blower swap"...exhaust, intake, injectors, boost-a-pump, etc. I don't think 600rwhp is possible with a KB on an otherwise stock '03 Cobra.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
Steeda lied to you man. 600rwhp is almost "normal" with all bolt ons, a KB, and an aggressive tune.

I'll get it on the dynojet when it's got the race tune in it as opposed to the Mustang Dyno.

It does feel pretty strong though.

Well...I'm kind of far from "just a blower swap"...exhaust, intake, injectors, boost-a-pump, etc. I don't think 600rwhp is possible with a KB on an otherwise stock '03 Cobra.
its probably just b/c Steeda uses thinks and speaks in terms of a very conservative tune.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
its probably just b/c Steeda uses thinks and speaks in terms of a very conservative tune.
Cobra guys have dubbed Steeda..."Steela" because they rip off everyone's design then sell it as their own. I'm not much of a fan of theirs. I do however have their caster/camber plates and they're top notch!
Old 06-05-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just saw a turbo 03 cobra last night for the first time. holy sh@t!!! i dont know what turbo kit it is or anything, but i will say that he claims 700rwhp+. he said he trapped 13something mph at moroso. thats sick as hell.. oh yeah, this cobra is black just like yours.. i wish i would have had my dig camera last night..
Old 06-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

i just saw a turbo 03 cobra last night for the first time. holy sh@t!!! i dont know what turbo kit it is or anything, but i will say that he claims 700rwhp+. he said he trapped 13something mph at moroso. thats sick as hell.. oh yeah, this cobra is black just like yours.. i wish i would have had my dig camera last night..
I've seen several turbo '03's. One had a single and the other had twins. 700rwhp is a piece of cake on a bone stock motor with a turbo kit.

This is a 100% bone stock Cobra motor with a custom Livernois kit (76mm turbo). It's in a '93 notch 'stang though. It's real fast, but I don't think the owner wants his ET known. Let's just say that this car will drag the bumper with no problem. I could line up at the 330' mark and he'd still smoke me. Power is extremely easy to make with these motors and a turbo.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

That thing is sick, do you happen to know a ballpark race weight without driver?