Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun bearing.. what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun bearing.. what are my options? *UPDATE*

Well time will tell but i think i spun a bearing. They are pulling the motor monday to check. If it is a spun bearing, what are my options? I dont have a lot of money and this is all going to come out of my pocket for a summer job. Ill make about 3200 for the summer, and its going to be about 1000+ to pull the motor and put it back in.

If its going to cost a lot, it looks like im going to have to sell the car or part it out. What are my options?

Last edited by 99CamaroSS_; 06-07-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would need to get a new crank most likely, you can find a used one, or just get a used motor for less than a $1k. If you can stretch that dollar, get a forged motor from a vendor, they may be able to take your old one, and put a new crank, rods, and forged pistons in it, and you may be close to your budget.

You can do this within your budget no sweat, just call around brother!! Damn shame!
Old 06-04-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man im seriously gunna cry if there is a spun bearing.

Which sponsers have the best prices on a new forged motor? What ones should i look at? I need to start looking now so that i can get all this **** by the end of the summer.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:21 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS_
Which sponsers have the best prices on a new forged motor? What ones should i look at?
Chose a sponsor with a proven record for LS1 engine building: Futral, Wheel to Wheel, Lingenfelter, etc. Make your decision based on quality and reliability, not price.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
Chose a sponsor with a proven record for LS1 engine building: Futral, Wheel to Wheel, Lingenfelter, etc. Make your decision based on quality and reliability, not price.
hes has no choice but to look at price too..
Old 06-04-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8KickassRS9
hes has no choice but to look at price too..
Yea i dont

Honestly if its a spun bearing, im going to part out or try to sell the car. I dont think i can afford more problems with the car.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Wasn't it making noises right after the shop worked on it? Cam install right? If so, to me they need to fix it and not charge you for it.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that you're in Texas, I'd look at some local shops. Not real sure about what's in your area, but there are several very good shops in the Houston area. HPE comes to mind as a shop with a good rep and reasonable prices.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea i dont

Honestly if its a spun bearing, im going to part out or try to sell the car. I dont think i can afford more problems with the car.
Don't get down, it can be fixed for what you are looking to spend, and make it better this time around. Look into the used market, call HPE, MTI, etc, etc close to you, you got a ton of shops at your finger tips bro!! I wish I had half as many shops you Texans got

Talk to them about reusing your block & rods, and just get a new/used stock crank, and spend some cash on the pistons, they will be the ticket to making more power now! Get some forged pistons and then you can go get a nice shot of nitrous on that car and make some serious power and be doing it safe. Get some ARP rod bolts, etc while you are at it and be comfortable with what you are running.

Don't give up, **** happens, and when it's all said and done, you will be turning 7k rpm all day long and not breaking a sweat wondering if your **** is gonna explode, and be so happy you didn't sell it
Old 06-04-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Don't get down, it can be fixed for what you are looking to spend, and make it better this time around. Look into the used market, call HPE, MTI, etc, etc close to you, you got a ton of shops at your finger tips bro!! I wish I had half as many shops you Texans got

Talk to them about reusing your block & rods, and just get a new/used stock crank, and spend some cash on the pistons, they will be the ticket to making more power now! Get some forged pistons and then you can go get a nice shot of nitrous on that car and make some serious power and be doing it safe. Get some ARP rod bolts, etc while you are at it and be comfortable with what you are running.

Don't give up, **** happens, and when it's all said and done, you will be turning 7k rpm all day long and not breaking a sweat wondering if your **** is gonna explode, and be so happy you didn't sell it
Thanks man, the only problem is i really dont know THAT much about LS1's. I know enough, i mean i drive one, but when it comes to rebuilding the motor, i dont know jack.... What exactly does a spun bearing effect?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's ok that you don't know anything, I don't know that much either, but your shops in town know a LOT, and they will not misguide you.

The rod bearing is on the crankshaft where the rod connects to it, when it gets deprived of oil it burns up, and really ***** **** up. When they pop the pan off and pull the rod cap they will see the bearing fried and that will tell them what is wrong.

You "could" get the crank turned, but that might get as costly as a new one and who knows what the clearances will be then and you would be worrying about it.

Everything happens for a reason, the car is just telling you it wants a big shot of nitrous is all
Old 06-04-2005, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAIN
Wasn't it making noises right after the shop worked on it? Cam install right? If so, to me they need to fix it and not charge you for it.
i think i might try this route first..could get it all for free.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea were trying. But i was having a oil problem right before we took it in. And that most likely was when the bearing spun if it did. It just didnt start making a noise until after the cam install. We will see, monday.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why dont you save the $1000.00, and pull the motor yourself? Then you will have that much more toward the motor.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well im not very mechanicly inclined, plus if there is anything wrong with the motor that was caused from the cam install, then the shop is going to pay for everything...
Old 06-04-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BAIN
Jeeez this statement is what make a lot of shops/performance shops cringe The car is a 99 year model correct? My GUESS is that it has 60-80K miles on it? So you take a mid to moderate high milage motor and add performance parts that will enhance the amount of power it makes so that stresses the motor even more right? So right away its the installers fault? if there is any problem down the road. Now I am not taking sides and if the noise was there right at start up there may be a case, but if the car was driven for a couple hundred miles then developed a noise/ knock developed maybe it was JUST because there were loose clearences to begin with and the new found power and possible harder running were the cause of the problem. When you start modifing a car over what it was enginnered to develop it might not be ANYONE's fault. Yes I manage a shop and have done multiple headers/cams/heads on LS1's and have never had a problem as mentioned but on some of the higher milage cars I always let the owner know the risks.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Jeeez this statement is what make a lot of shops/performance shops cringe The car is a 99 year model correct? My GUESS is that it has 60-80K miles on it? So you take a mid to moderate high milage motor and add performance parts that will enhance the amount of power it makes so that stresses the motor even more right? So right away its the installers fault? if there is any problem down the road. Now I am not taking sides and if the noise was there right at start up there may be a case, but if the car was driven for a couple hundred miles then developed a noise/ knock developed maybe it was JUST because there were loose clearences to begin with and the new found power and possible harder running were the cause of the problem. When you start modifing a car over what it was enginnered to develop it might not be ANYONE's fault. Yes I manage a shop and have done multiple headers/cams/heads on LS1's and have never had a problem as mentioned but on some of the higher milage cars I always let the owner know the risks.

its a 99. It only has 50K on it. And the noise started 5 minutes after i had driven away from the shop. I was driving home, didnt even go above 3000rpm. And the noise started. So it is quite possible it was something they did, but it might not be as well. It's not there fault by any means until it is PROVEN that it is there fault. But i understand what you are saying.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

its a 99. It only has 50K on it. And the noise started 5 minutes after i had driven away from the shop. I was driving home, didnt even go above 3000rpm. And the noise started. So it is quite possible it was something they did, but it might not be as well. It's not there fault by any means until it is PROVEN that it is there fault. But i understand what you are saying.
Your responce is very resonable, just let them recheck thier work, possibly a loose rocker etc? Hope all works out for the very best for you
Old 06-04-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Your responce is very resonable, just let them recheck thier work, possibly a loose rocker etc? Hope all works out for the very best for you
Thats the thing they already took apart the top of the motor and it wasnt a rocker arm or valve spring

Thats why they are pulling the motor. Thats why im for sure now that its a spun bearing.. what else could it be? that would cause a loud ticking sound like that.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

ss rally red, Thanks for the assumption that I didn't know the problem started right after the install and flaming me I would have never posted anything unless I knew a little about the subject and I didn't want to see the guy get stuck with the bill. Just take it back and let them look it over and I'm sure if it is the shop's fault they will fix it for you.

Does the sound sound like a ticking or sewing machine?