PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie at tuning?????

Old 06-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Newbie at tuning?????

I am a newbie at tuning so I was wondering what it does exactly and what the side affects are to it. I here alot of people have problems after a tune. Codes, check engine light, engine acts up... Why the problems?? Is it really worth the cost?? Why doesnt the vehicle come stock with the best performance possible already??

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you haven't done anything to your car there is really no reason to tune. it may not come with the best performance possible from the factory, but it is close (keep in mind gm does tune with emissions and fuel economy in mind and not power). it's when you start adding and changing stuff in and around your engine when you start needing to change the way the pcm interprets the information given to it to unlock more power, or to fix a rich/lean condition, or whatever.

it's worth the cost if you can justify it. for example if you had done all the bolt-ons and you knew you weren't going to do anything to your engine for awhile, a tune might be worth it. if you knew you were going to put in a cam in 3 months, you might as well wait and get the tune then (unless you have an endless stack of money). what one person might justify, another might not.

the problems with the codes and check engine light aren't necessarily after a tune. many times the tune will factor in changing the light so it doesn't light up for lack of emissions equipment or anything like that.

Search this Thread