PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 WS6, knocking in 3rd and 4th only.. options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '00 WS6, knocking in 3rd and 4th only.. options?

Ok here's the deal, I did a little logging this weekend and I noticed that I'm consistently geting an active knock count during WOT passes but *only* throwing 3rd and 4th, nothing in either first or second at WOT or comming off the hole. Now I've gone and backed the timing down on the high map from the stock 28* down to 24.5*, still getting -4* KR upon throwing 3rd or 4th.

Just how low should I go before I consider this to possibly be false knock? I do have slight Y-pipe rubbing but I don't know if that'll resonate a sound strong enough to trigger KR, especially since the Y pipe will rub at anytime in any gear, but knock only registeres when throwing 3rd and 4th.

Normal for this car, or an outside problem?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try race gas to see if it's false knock.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VTC_WS6
Ok here's the deal, I did a little logging this weekend and I noticed that I'm consistently geting an active knock count during WOT passes but *only* throwing 3rd and 4th, nothing in either first or second at WOT or comming off the hole. Now I've gone and backed the timing down on the high map from the stock 28* down to 24.5*, still getting -4* KR upon throwing 3rd or 4th.

Just how low should I go before I consider this to possibly be false knock? I do have slight Y-pipe rubbing but I don't know if that'll resonate a sound strong enough to trigger KR, especially since the Y pipe will rub at anytime in any gear, but knock only registeres when throwing 3rd and 4th.

Normal for this car, or an outside problem?
Seems pretty normal based on what I have read. Check some of the recent threads that are still going regarding KR at WOT only. I'm desensitizing my knock sensors ('98), but have gone through a series of steps to be comfortable it's false knock. 100 octane gas is one step, loose/rattling exhaust at a 6-8 Khz frequency is another, etc.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dvanorder
Seems pretty normal based on what I have read. Check some of the recent threads that are still going regarding KR at WOT only. I'm desensitizing my knock sensors ('98), but have gone through a series of steps to be comfortable it's false knock. 100 octane gas is one step, loose/rattling exhaust at a 6-8 Khz frequency is another, etc.
Yea I'm gonna go ahead and eliminate all the variables, or as many as I can anyways by wrapping part of the Y and trying some 100 octane, see what happens with that..
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

one possibility is wot in 3rd and 4th you are getting more air in the motor so you need more fuel, i had the same issues. 1st and 2nd were good, some knock in 3rd but more in 4th. whats the a/f ratio? and a banging pipe can throw some kr, stuff some header wrap in between the car and the header where it hits, and then go back out and see what happens.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a killer false knock caused by the tranny. It only happens in 3rd and 4th gear around 1800 rpm. It started the same day an out-of-balance pressure plate was installed. The pressure plate has been replaced, but apparently there is some bearing damage in the tranny.