Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Time for new 3/8" flex head ratchet

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for new 3/8" flex head ratchet

I bought a Mac flex head ratchet a year or so ago used and have had nothing but problems with it. One of the bolts that holds the plate on the head of the ratchet fell out and was misplaced. I got a rebuild kit from a Mac rep for free. Shortly after I rebuilt the head, one of the bolts snapped off in the treads of the plate. Had Mac send me another plate and planned on using the one original bolt I had saved. Well, I can't find the bolt now that I have the new plate. I'm sick of screwing with this ratchet so I'm just going to put it up on eBay and get a new one.

I see that Matco has a 60 tooth ratchet whereas most of the other big boys have 36 tooth wheels. How well do these hold up? I use this ratchet 90% over the other ratchets. I love all of the Snap-on stuff I have and am drawn the fancy looking black/red handles BUT, form comes second to function with a tool in my book.

Since I use this ratchet the most, I'd like it replaced for a tool with a comfort grip and to be 10-13" long. What do you guys recommend between Matco, Mac, Snap-On, and Cornwell? They are all about $100.

Here is the Snap-on ratchet that caught my eye....

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Snap-On! The comfort grip handle makes a huge difference. I hardly ever use any other rachet. You'll notice the difference between the Snap-On and the Mac right away.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Go with the Snap-on, this size is also my favorite ratchet. The one I got has the plastic handle like there screwdrivers. Had it close to 10 years and Snap had to fix it a few times, usually after I put a 3 foot pipe on it. Dan at work has the exact same ratchet you want every bit as rugged as mine BUT it really feels good in the hand. The only drawback is the rubber handle is easy to tear but replacements are redally available.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the rubber handle covered until the warranty?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

yes they are your snap on guy will replace them whenever they need replacing all you have to do is show him.

Quick Reply: Time for new 3/8" flex head ratchet