Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Just a suggestion...

Old 06-07-2005, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just a suggestion...

I've been noticing alot of people splicing wires together and such. When I started to install my stereo in my camaro I didn't want to cut any of the factory wiring or run new wiring for the speakers and so forth. I guess you could call me a purist. I just didn't want to install anything taht couldn't be reversed. I know this isn't new to the process of installing a speaker, but if you want to keep the ends,(i.e. not cut off you factory clips) and install a speaker. You could use t-taps. This would be especially good in thr front doors on a camaro where the plug has four wires coming out of it. Just tap the two you need for the mid-bass driver on the factory speaker. Blue and Blue/Light Blue, I think. This way you can run any type of 6.5 speaker from you aftermarket amp. Your stock head unit no longer has to power your tweets. I hope this helps someone. I know it's gonna help me.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

i kept all the factory wiring in place so i could go back to stock but ran high quality speaker wire because its the right thing to do.

t-taps can work loose and create bad connections, i used scotch locks years ago for my alarm install and while it worked fine for awhile they ended up giving me HELLA problems down the road. not to mention splicing into the factory wiring and then removing them later will require e-taping all the spots where the insulation is cut.

just my .02
Old 06-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Its probably worth the extra time to run new wires. Better quality for sound and longer life without any problems. Trust me, electrical problems are a real ***** to figure out. Also, try not to do anything to the car that you wouldn't be proud to show off. If you do it right and with higher quality, you'll feel good about the final results when someone asks how you did it.

Search this Thread