Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Air Conditioner Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Air Conditioner Problem...no more!

I have a 99 LS1 Trans Am. I've owned it for about 2 months now. The air conditioner has a problem that I can't figure out. When the weather is cool to warm, the AC works fine. As soon as the weather gets really hot and I turn on the AC, it pops the fuse. I've searched around on different threads to see if someone else has this problem to no avail. I've gone through 2 packs of 20A fuses. My first thought was to check or replace the relay...but as you might know already, I don't know alot about this car and don't know where the relay is. Now for the stupid move of the day. A friend suggested that I place aluminum foil on the fuse and throw it back in there. After I paused a moment, I did it anyway. Then I turned on the air and SMOKE, not steam came out of every vent. I turned it off immediately. Now, I can't get the compressor to come on at all. Does this sound like two wires were grounding together or the relay was bad to begin with? Have I damaged something major now? PLEASE HELP! Someone has been setting the thermostat on HELL here in South Carolina lately.......

Last edited by almostlive; 06-20-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Class, we have just learned two very important lessons. First, do not trust yer buddy with any suggestion involving aluminum foil and electronics. Second, yer buddy with the suggestion will have nothing more than an apology when the smoke appears.

As unfortunate as your situation is, it would appear as though you've just incurred more costs than you originally had. My guess is that the compressor may have been low on freon, thereby causing more strain when the temp's got higher. When you basically bypassed the fuse with the aluminum foil jumper, you burned up some wires or electronics that power the A/C compressor. I'm not sure what to suggest now - if it were mine, I'd be into trying to figure out what burnt up first, and then going after the original problem. Oh yeah, and I'd say that said friend owes ya at least some cold ones!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I'll have to say that was a pretty funny reply! Although my situation isn't very funny. But, that's the first time someone has made some sense as to why it was doing it in the first place. I appreciate it. Any suggestions anyone as to where to start looking for what was smoking? Maybe I fried the relay up pretty good or something else.....
Old 06-08-2005, 10:18 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, try replacing the relay first, that should let you know if you fried the compressor or not...

Tell your friend that fuses pop for a reason, to try to protect/prevent damage to the equipment on the other side of the fuse when something's wrong - it's normally not a good idea to do something like that to try to get around them.

The compressor relay is located in the number 2 underhood electrical center - diagram is attached.

The relay is AC-Delco #15-8571, GM part number 12088567, list price of $18.84
Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioner Problem-underhood-electrical-2.gif  
Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the info. Makes me feel like the compressor did in fact burn up. My luck is not as good as replacing an $18.84 part.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Launching!

I'm really diggin' the sig, dude! Anyway, I don't mean to make fun of your situation at all - I'm just trying to point out that as much as a friend means well, his advice isn't always good advice. Anyway, you could try to temporarily jumper a power-wire to the compressor's hot terminal to verify its operation, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you're careful. Another option would be to try to get a relay from a boneyard, but you take a gamble on that too.

The smoke is most likely some wiring or electronics behind the dash. ACW's diagram will help some, but what you really need is to find out what physically burnt. Smoking outta the vents leads me to believe that you'll be taking the dash-pad off, which isn't all bad, but beyond that it'll become more involved.

Depending on your spending abilities, you may want to look into finding someone in your area that does automotive electrical diagnostics - unfortunately, not many mechanics are as good at wiring as they are at turning wrenches. If that's not the option for you, then keep us posted on your progress, and keep asking questions - we'll get ya thru this.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Describe the smoke if you can. Was it white like fog but didnt have much of a smell? or was it more of an electrical burn?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well Daley....I know you weren't poking fun....I just thought it was really funny. I was sitting here laughing as I was reading it. I needed that! I'm getting ready to go get a relay for it. They aren't that expensive. Then go from there.

Ricesickened, I'm not exactly sure what the smoke smelled like....it really happened kind of fast and maybe a little shock was experienced. It reminded me of wire insulation burning. It wasn't exactly white...it was more like light gray. And there wasn't a tremendous amount of it. Maybe 2 to 3 seconds and it was gone. Hope this helps. I appreaciate ALL of ya'll's help! P.S. I am having no problems with anything else since this happened....just thought that question might arise....
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

As of around 11:30 ET, I changed the relay....no change. There's a Camaro/Firebird shop that has a guy coming in around 4-5 pm today that specializes in HVAC. I'm gonna see what he says. I hope I can figure this out soon, so I know what to go buy or replace. Anyway, I'll post what this guy says....hopefully he shows up today.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Well, we figured out what was smoking. It was the wiring harness that goes from the switch to the fuse panel. Not as bad as I thought. Anybody know where I can find one? I'm gonna look on ebay, but that's not a very common item. The shop where I was at said they would do it for $425 parts & labor. They have a 98 Camaro 6 cyl to get the replacement harness. Not sure whether to try it myself or not. Doesn't sound like that bad of a job....
Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

If you're sure you want to try doing it yourself, SDPC ( www.sdpc2000.com - GM parts dealer, ls1tech sponsor) could probably order one for you
Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I found something else that was a little interesting....there's only one wire in the harness that burnt. It's the dark green with the white stripe. In the wiring diagram in the back of the Haynes book (like I'm sure someone out there has one), it shows that this particular wire goes to the PCM. This worried me quite a bit. Is there a way to just replace that one wire? Everything and I do mean everything else is working great...no other problems.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Hell, I'd just replace that one wire. Easy stuff, and really cheap.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Just to close this thread also.......my friggin AC works great now...it took me 10 min to rewire it without drilling the firewall....thanks to everyone who helped!! Cold air feels so good when it's 95 degrees outside!!!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Glad it was a simple fix!!