Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I need a link to a adapter, CD changer to F-RCAs

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a link to a adapter, CD changer to F-RCAs

Does anybody have a link to the adapter that fits into the stock CD changer plug on a 02 Monsoon system that changes it into a set of Female RCAs? Or can go from the CD changer plug to a small Male headphone jack. Either one i can work with, thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Launching!

I didn't know such a thing existed - AFAIK, the Monsoon system uses a proprietery signal that isn't analog, which means that there's no way to make an adapter without building some sort of D/A converter into it. I'd love to learn otherwise.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your trying to get preamp out of the external changer plug comming from the monsoon in order to get preamp output for an external amp?

If so PAC makes a High-to-low level converter that allows you to take your high level from the back of your headunit and converts it to low level preamp.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:25 AM
11 Second Club

Basically, im trying to use my Ipod in my car, I found a site that sells adapters that say they will work on 97-02 Camaros, but the adapter, and ipod plug will end up running about $215, not sure i want to spend this much. I had an idea and was wondering if they made that cd changer adapter plug, but it seems they already make a ipod adapter, probably not going to spend over 200 on a adapter.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What you're looking for is something like the PIE GM9-AUX adapter. It is designed to plug into the 9-pin CD changer port on the back of the Monsoon head unit. It provides RCA inputs for an auxiliary device such as an ipod or satellite radio. For 01 & 02 models it also allows you to leave the CD changer connected (older models had to disconnect the CD changer).

This is not the same as a $200 ipod adapter because it doesn't allow you to control the ipod from the radio controls nor does it provide a power connection to recharge the ipod's battery. But it does let you play music from the ipod through the factory system and it costs under $70 at Crutchfield so it's a lot cheaper than the ipod interface.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Kolk1,
I'm doing EXACTLY the same thing on my '00 SS. I just got my parts in yesterday. I ordered them online at MyRadioStore.com - I bought the GM9-AUX ($69.49) and the Y-Adapter (6' Gold Plated RCA 35-RCA6MM for $10.99) Shipping was free. Total bill $80.48 The Y-Adapter is what plugs into the female RCA's on the GM9-AUX and goes to the headphone jack on your iPod. I haven't installed mine yet, (Saturday morning) but I can't wait. Good Luck. Let me know how yours turns out.
btw, you have an option of two GM9-AUX modules. One if you have a CD changer and one if you don't.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
...btw, you have an option of two GM9-AUX modules. One if you have a CD changer and one if you don't.
Not exactly. The GM9-AUX plugs into the CD changer port and will work with the factory changer still installed if you have an 01 or 02 model Camaro or Firebird (among other GM models). It also works with earlier model radios back to mid-99 but you would have to unplug the factory changer. Prior to mid-99 only the cassette head unit was capable of using the CD changer port - the CD head unit wouldn't work.

The "With CD Changer" option listed on MyRadioStore.com is a different model of adapter that has a separate 3-position switch that lets you plug in up to two auxilliary devices along with the factory changer. Unfortunately, this means mounting the additional switch somewhere and using it to select which auxiliary input you want to listen to. The GM9-AUX on an 01 or 02 lets you switch between the devices by just pressing the CD/AUX or CD/Play button on the radio.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

…you learn something new everyday.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kolk1,
What kind of iPod do you have? That will make a difference in what you want to do. I have a first gen iPod with the rotating wheel on it. So, the GM9-AUX is my best option. But, if you have an iPod with a dock connector, you have better options. I was just on Crutchfield site and saw a new product called USA Spec iPod Interface ($119.99) It appears that this item takes the place of the GM9-AUX and plugs into the CD changer port (but you have to disconnect the changer, if you have one.) This thing though, will not only charge your iPod while connected but, apparently you can control it with the radio controls. I've already spent 80 bucks to hook up my old iPod. If I had one with a dock connector, I'd definitely do it this way. I don't like the hookups where you have to mount the iPod on the dash or somewhere in plain view. That's just asking for somebody to bust a window. With something like this, you could just run the connector into the glove box and leave the iPod in there, locked up. Sweet. Now I want a new iPod!
Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

I just got my Ipod for my Bday, and mainly wanted one for going to the gym, its pretty small, only holds 120 songs, but thats more than enough. It doesnt have the rotating wheel, its about 3 inchs tall, 1/2 wide, and 1/4 deep, very small size wize. It plugs directly into my computer in the USB port. And i wear it like a necklace. Not sure on the name, its like an ipod shuffle or some **** like that. They sell for like 100 at Best buy. The only reason i see it worth the money for the adapter, is i dont buy CDs anymore, i just download all my music and burn them.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out my post in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=aux
Old 06-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

hmm... i just ran accross this today... i'm sure someone has already mentioned it, but o well....
http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ory_Code=CMINT