Sponsored by: DashLynx

Proper care for leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper care for leather seats

How can I properly care for the black leather seats in my SS? On vinyl/plastic sections of the interior I have used ArmourAll but I am not sure I should use that stuff on leather.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking

meguiars gold class leather and conditioner
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meguiars leather cleaner + conditioner plus aloe, that what I have always used. Keeps the seats looking good and it smells good too
Old 06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

If your car's a 'vert, do not let DIRECT, 12 Noon, sunlight hit the seats. Leather does not like to be cooked. A neighbor of mine just bought a Solara convertible with a leather interior. The tool bought it, drove it around in the morning, and then parked it in front of his house during a getty with the top still down. It was a crazy hot day, like 90 something degrees. In about four hours, the leather was burning hot to the touch and had bubbled up slightly in some areas. Now his leather is on, like, 5k miles and is wrinkled up everywhere!

Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner works for me. It's great!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner, thats what i use and they had a lil wrinkle when i bought it 8 or 9 months ago but none since then. Once every week or 2 should be good.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is a vert and I never really leave the top down if its parked and its garaged at my house. I left it in the sun for 10 minutes and found it pretty hot on the seat surfaces. Luckily the previous owner kept it in good shape it looks perfect right now. I will try to find the Meguiar's.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I use gold class like everyone else here, easy to use, smells pretty good and never had any problems
Old 06-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have to do my seats, I never left it out in the sun but since Ive owned it I havent conditioned them. Does anyone know if leaving it under a cover is bad for the leather?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have always used mink oil, you can find next to shoe polish, for most leather and some vinyl interior surfaces. It is dirt cheap, cheaps everything soft and supple and doesnt dry out quickly like armorall.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

you could also go with Lexol, which is what i use. Meguiaar's is a bit easier tho.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bboyferal
If your car's a 'vert, do not let DIRECT, 12 Noon, sunlight hit the seats. Leather does not like to be cooked. A neighbor of mine just bought a Solara convertible with a leather interior. The tool bought it, drove it around in the morning, and then parked it in front of his house during a getty with the top still down. It was a crazy hot day, like 90 something degrees. In about four hours, the leather was burning hot to the touch and had bubbled up slightly in some areas. Now his leather is on, like, 5k miles and is wrinkled up everywhere!

Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner works for me. It's great!
yea I only leave my top down if i'm just running into the store for something when I can keep an eye on it and in my driveway for a few hours if the sun isn't to hot and direct. I don't trust people and birds enough to leave it done anyway.
I like to use meguirs products but haven't tried the cleaner and conditioner yet. So far I have used Goof Off when i needed to clean it and meguires wipes the rest of the time.

Quick Reply: Proper care for leather seats