Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine knocking after converter install & oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine knocking after converter install & oil pressure problem

The trouble started about an hour after I was trying out the Fuddle 3800/2.3 converter I just had installed. I was pulling into the driveway at home when the car stalled. I assumed this was normal since I know that the car needs tuning with a converter that size. However, when I restarted the car I could hear a knocking sound coming from the engine. It is not that loud nor that quiet, but I wondering what could have happened, since only the transmission was touched during the converter install. I cannot see how that would cause the engine to knock. I had never heard any sounds from the engine. Any thoughts on it? I do know that the car has more than its share of miles, but I find it odd that it started to knock after the converter was installed. The other problems include the oil pressure droppping from its usual 50-60 to around 25 or lower at idle. That, coupled with the knock, are making me very uneasy even to start up the car. At idle, according to the gauge, the rpms have always been hovering close to 500. Would this also be a factor in the knocking or oil pressure? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Does the car about cut off when the oil pressure is at 25? Have you checked the converter bolts. Make sure they stayed tight? Do you loose oil pressure when you give it gas? Have you checked your oil?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well from you description it's sounding like it might have been coincidence. Also the converter shouldn't cause your car to stall out like your saying. The only tunning really for a converter is adjusted shift points and lock-up and things of that nature. There isn't really to much tunning other than that for just a converter and the converter itself won't cause a stalling problem if everything is right. Generally i would say if you got a knock after the converter install i would think something isn't right with the flexplate or a flex plate bolt was loose along with the possibility of clearance problems. Since the oil pressure is low though that makes me belive its something other than a transmission problem. So i'm thinking there is a problem in the engine
Old 06-10-2005, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

The install was done by a local reputable shop, but it would be in my best interest to go back and have them go over their work. Would the flexplate might be a possible source of knock? Another thing I forgot to mention is that at startup there is a combination grinding/tapping sound which lasts for a half second. There is also a lot of vibration until the converter locks up. Normal? Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The converter shouldn't vibrate. I think its a coincidence too. I'm guessing you got on it good a few times on the way home. with 194k(hard driven?) I wouldn't be suprised if a main bearing, oil pump, ect decided its had enough.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

The loose flexplate bolt will make it sound like a rod knock. I had a loose bolt on my 86 chevy, and I thought I popped a rod.
I'd have the shop go back over their work, to rule that out.
I would Tow it there though.
With 194K miles...time to pull that motor out, and do a refresher on it.
I wouldnt trust it unless you verify the bottom end is A-ok.

One thing I learned the hard way, was letting my moms motor run after I heard a wierd noise, and a slight knock.
By the time I got 10 miles into the trip home, I threw a rod.
Instead of shutting it off and towing it home, ($50 tow bill), I ended up putting a new motor in. ($2400)

When in doubt, shut it off and tow it!

Last edited by TrickyTransAm; 06-13-2005 at 11:33 AM.