PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning idle? hard for the pro's??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning idle? hard for the pro's??

I have a 99 SS. This past winter I added a ls6 intake, headers and a tr220 cam. I also eliminated the EGR and AIR. I had my car tuned by one of the only local tuners. I have had probelems with the idle ever since. Now, I did not drive it before tuning so I am sure the problem stems from the mods.

When I first called him back he told me to do a couple of different things when I first started it so it would learn. That did not work so I finally got it back in to him last week. He did something with the computer and it seemed good right after he did this.

Now, about a week later my idle issues are the same or worse. It surges when it is cold and also when it is hot and it sits for a while???

The idle surges, gets really low and sometimes dies.

I brought my car to a pro so I did not have to learn how to do all the tuning.

I have a mild cam and headers, should this be hard to tune???

I have spent some decent money here, what should I expect??

Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

The real question you should ask is how much different do you think these glorified "shop tuners" are from people like you and me that are learning about tuning? The only difference is that these shop tuners draw a line somewhere that is good enough for their business but don't extend their knowledge beyond that. I think everyone needs to re-evaluate the term "pro" cuz if you ask me, there's a lot of us out there that would put these "pros" to shame...
Old 06-11-2005, 04:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fasteddyss
I have a 99 SS. This past winter I added a ls6 intake, headers and a tr220 cam. I also eliminated the EGR and AIR. I had my car tuned by one of the only local tuners. I have had probelems with the idle ever since. Now, I did not drive it before tuning so I am sure the problem stems from the mods.

When I first called him back he told me to do a couple of different things when I first started it so it would learn. That did not work so I finally got it back in to him last week. He did something with the computer and it seemed good right after he did this.

Now, about a week later my idle issues are the same or worse. It surges when it is cold and also when it is hot and it sits for a while???

The idle surges, gets really low and sometimes dies.

I brought my car to a pro so I did not have to learn how to do all the tuning.

I have a mild cam and headers, should this be hard to tune???

I have spent some decent money here, what should I expect??

Thanks!!!
These cars are always learning. That damn maf... Mine idles and runs awesome in cool weather, good in warm, but if it's muggy or humit out it has trouble finding idle for a short while sometimes. I would not think a cam with those specs would be difficult to tune. Maybe the tuner isn't all he/she could be. Just keep taking it back until you are satisfied or they kick you out. If it still isn't good enough, then throw some curse words their way and go to a better tuner or get HP Tuners and learn it yourself. It really isn't all that difficult. Just time consuming.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by txhorns281
The real question you should ask is how much different do you think these glorified "shop tuners" are from people like you and me that are learning about tuning?
couldn't have said it better. To add to this; If you want it done right, do it yourself.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

So there are tuners around that would do this right the first time??

There are not many to choose from here in MN. The problem is he is a ways away and it takes a while to get back in.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Ive had a similar experiences, people think tuners know some ancient black magic and they sprinkle it on your car then its right. Alot of them are full of it.
I think horns hit it on the head.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see why someone would have a problem tuning your setup.They probly missed something or really don't know idle tuning.With the 220 Cam your car should be idling like stock with no lope/surging ect.Alot of people say it's not hard at all but there are some packages that are very difficult to tune at idle like 236+ Cams with 4000stalls
Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I don't see why someone would have a problem tuning your setup.They probly missed something or really don't know idle tuning.With the 220 Cam your car should be idling like stock with no lope/surging ect.Alot of people say it's not hard at all but there are some packages that are very difficult to tune at idle like 236+ Cams with 4000stalls
What is an example of something that could be missed??
Old 06-11-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that cam you should be able to turn the throttle body set screw 1/2 - 1 turn and it should idle much better. If it gets to the point where it's idling high, back off the screw a little bit. With my 222 cam that solved 90% of my idling problems.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your tuner probably messed with your RAF tables, but didn't think about messing with your tb.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I don't think he touched the throttle body.

So I need to open up the blade a little with the set screw??

I will try that.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
The real question you should ask is how much different do you think these glorified "shop tuners" are from people like you and me that are learning about tuning? The only difference is that these shop tuners draw a line somewhere that is good enough for their business but don't extend their knowledge beyond that. I think everyone needs to re-evaluate the term "pro" cuz if you ask me, there's a lot of us out there that would put these "pros" to shame...
Amen brother. A dyno tune is a piece of cake. Partial throttle and idle is where the most work is. I don't get how some shops will just slap the car on the dyno, adjust 2 tables, and then charge someone $400-600.

PM on its way for the thread starter.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One difference between a tuner and doing it yourself is the tuner won't have your car every day for long periods starting it and driving it in all weather conditions and all motor temp conditions like you will. Not that a tuner doesn't know how or what to do to make the car more driveable. How many hours does an individual spend logging and tweaking when they have their own tuning software vs having a tuner tune your car.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tech
Amen brother. A dyno tune is a piece of cake. Partial throttle and idle is where the most work is. I don't get how some shops will just slap the car on the dyno, adjust 2 tables, and then charge someone $400-600.

PM on its way for the thread starter.
Can I get a Haleloyaa to that!! A vehicle is at part throttle 99.999999% of its driving life. Ive been saying the same thing myself ever since I started tuning with HP.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a good tuner won't have to touch a TB to tune a car right.

There is a lot more to tuning than just wot as stated above.

I always say drivability is the difference between an alright tune, and a good tune.

Ryan
Old 06-11-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

tuning the car to idle right would take a good bit of time for cool down, something a shop wont do because they dont wanna "waste' time. ive got about 30 logs and the only things i did was change the idle settings, my curves are totally rebuilt and look nothing like stock, but the car gets better and better with every tune.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
tuning the car to idle right would take a good bit of time for cool down, something a shop wont do because they dont wanna "waste' time. ive got about 30 logs and the only things i did was change the idle settings, my curves are totally rebuilt and look nothing like stock, but the car gets better and better with every tune.
They are not all like that. I know one in OKC, OK that does the whole bit. Tunes drivablity, idle, then WOT. If you want to know who it is then PM me, because they aren't a sponser yet. And if you want it done right you better come with a full tank of gas...
Old 06-12-2005, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't mean to imply 'most' shops do it that way. I would imagine a shop that designs a cam has done the driveability stuff on a few cars to get it close. I have just seen some mail order stuff and local stuff that isn't very impressive.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

ive read about a lot of problems and seen a lot of problems of shops tuning cars and they tend to blame it on "you have a cam, thats why it runs like that". like said before, im sure there are a lot of us on this board that can come up with better tune, ive tried to ask the "pros" for help and half the time i felt like i was teaching them things, pretty sad. not saying that our sponsors are like that, there are a few but not many, at least from the ones i have talked with
Old 06-12-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Maybe it is time for me to learn??

How much would I have to spend to get setup to tune myself??