Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Antenna Mod

Old 06-10-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Mod

I hate having a three foot antenna and would love to get a short, 12 inch, black antenna similar to the stock one, just shorter. Does anyone know where I can get one? Also anyone with pictures of one or something similar?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about a power antenna?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schwindj
I hate having a three foot antenna and would love to get a short, 12 inch, black antenna similar to the stock one, just shorter. Does anyone know where I can get one? Also anyone with pictures of one or something similar?
They have them listed on ebay. I will try to find it and give you the auction number. i think it was around $15.00
Old 06-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

You can replace the mast with a power antenna. It wont be any shorter but you can control when it is raised and it will be down when the car is off.
Here is a write-up on that:
http://www.blackcamaro.com/antenna.htm

I remember reading a while back that some members cut their solid-mast antennas and covered the end with a small black cap.

I did a quick search and found some threads.

In this thread, n2oblkz talks about a short antenna he bought
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=cut+antenna

In this thread, jammon46 says he cut his antenna:

In this thread more people talk about cuttin the antenna:

If you do more searching (like I just did for this post), you'll find more info on power antenna and shorter antennas.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I picked up an 8" fixed mast antenna from SSinserts.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Ebay listing auction number is 7979938986
Old 06-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

i cut mine and then dipped the end in black paint....looks good but radio reception blows....but thats what cds are for
Old 06-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Teching In

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ory_Code=CMEXT

Cheap, easy, and looks good.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a power antenna and would definitely do another power one again if I had to but I kinda like that one from PFYC.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We have a power antenna and it looks and works great.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

You can take your antenna and cut it in half, and then put a little rubber nub on it. As long as you make sure its EXACTLY half the original size. Car antennas are that length to match the wavelength (more specifically 1/2 of a wavelength) of the frequency of a radio station. If you cut it half, your antenna will match 1/4 of the wavelength of a radio wave. Shouldn't have a problem w/ radio reception either if you cut it correctly.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I randomly cut mine with a dremel, haven't had any noticable difference in reception, but it was pretty close to cutting it in half...

Old 06-12-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I used a cutting disk and JB welded the ball to the top,20 minutes.Benn that way fro 2years and looks factory.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Yep meissenation, that's why you didn't lose any reception quality.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

I picked up a "Euro" or shorty one at AutoZone.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FBDYLVR
You can take your antenna and cut it in half, and then put a little rubber nub on it. As long as you make sure its EXACTLY half the original size. Car antennas are that length to match the wavelength (more specifically 1/2 of a wavelength) of the frequency of a radio station. If you cut it half, your antenna will match 1/4 of the wavelength of a radio wave. Shouldn't have a problem w/ radio reception either if you cut it correctly.
This is true. However the antennas that are made shorter are also made wider in diameter to resonate at FM frequencies where as those that you cut yourself will always be off a bit. Depending on your listening habits, the difference is unnoticable. For example, I live in Phoenix and there are about 2 stations here that are from Tucson (2 hours South) that I like to listen to occasionally. If I were to just cut my antenna, I would experience less gain than a thicker short one and get noticably worse reception. This is also true for road trips. The signal will not reach you as far. However if you mainly drive around the city and all the stations you listen to are in the city, cutting your antenna will not give you a noticable difference in reception unless you have ghetto stations like some that we have here that operate at 100,000watts and are all the way across town about 60-70miles away. That being said, I opted to buy one specifically made to be short and I purchased it through my local GM dealership mostly for looks. The antenna I bought is black with chrome flames and what's funny is that it's so noticable that I get compliments from passengers all the time at how uniqe my antenna is and how cool it looks. They've never seen flames on an antenna. This however did not come without a price tag at $32 plus tax but I love the look and all of it and all of the compliments. I don't know, you be the judge.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Mod-ls1techantenna.jpg   Antenna Mod-ls1techantenna02.jpg  
Old 06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...979594750&rd=1

Mine is on it's way
Old 06-13-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FBDYLVR

True concept but that would be for one specific frequency correct? I think most people listen to more than one station broadcasting on different frequencies so if you get close to half you should be fine. Personally mine is cut down way shorter than any pictured here and honestly my reception hasn't suffered from it. Go figure as the physics behind it state the reception should suck now.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS LS1
True concept but that would be for one specific frequency correct? I think most people listen to more than one station broadcasting on different frequencies so if you get close to half you should be fine. Personally mine is cut down way shorter than any pictured here and honestly my reception hasn't suffered from it. Go figure as the physics behind it state the reception should suck now.

Yes, it is for one scpecific frequency. Most antennas are designed for optimum resonance at the middle of the FM band which is at about 98MHz (FM band is 88-108MHz), but what radio stations do is use more power to send their signal so that they can reach more people. The fact is that someone with a longer antenna resonant at 98MHz will get the signal longer on a road trip away from the broadcasting antenna than someone with a shorter one, but the larger diameter helps to opimize the gain at that length. But as I said before, if you're in the city and the broadcasting antenna is in the city, it makes little difference.

What happens in essence is that when you cut your dipole antenna in half is yes it reduces it to a 1/4 lambda, but it uses the metal in your car to make an "image" of a 1/2 lambda dipole antenna. Still doesn't have as much gain as a full length antenna. But what do I care. My Stereo plays MP3's, I never listen to the radio.

Last edited by 02SS3098; 06-13-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

I took my antenna off and painted the metal screw piece black. looks good and I get good reception.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antenna Mod