Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: What Should I Do With My Lights?
Get Smoked Covers
20.59%
Spray Them With Nite Shade
52.94%
Leave Them Alone
26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Smoked Covers or Nite Shade Spray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked Covers or Nite Shade Spray?

I want to either get smoked tailight covers or Nite Shade Spray but was wondering which would be best? I've heard bad things about smoked covers, such as bad fitment, melting the factory lenses etc. But I'm not sure on the specifics of Nite Shade... do you just spray it on and go? And how long does it last?

I'm not asking for your opinion on if black lights look good but as always you are entitled to your opinon. I just want to know what you think will be the best option for me.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

From what I've heard/seen the covers would be the way to go expecially if htere are laws saying you can not cover or restrict the amount of visibility of the headlights or tail lights. However I have heard that the tail lights warp somwehat witht he use of the Lense covers. Its really your decision if you want to be able to take off the shades in case you are told to or you jsut dont really like them or the look, you cna just take them off. If you paint it, well I don't know muhc about it but im sure you have to scrub the Sh*t out of it to get it off because i doubt you can just clean it off. If you are sure that you want it though i would say paint it and say you got your tailights like that from the factory. Be like "officer its not a cover thats how they came factory, check it out" lol. Good luck wiht your decision
Old 06-11-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

I'd leave them alone. If someone rearends you with taillight covers on wouldn't that be your fault?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
I'd leave them alone. If someone rearends you with taillight covers on wouldn't that be your fault?
Yes and no because the shadow does restrict visibility SLIGHTLY but it is still very visible. It'd be up to the a-hole filing the report.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Covers imo.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had tailight covers on my black '93 (smoked). I had 2 pairs stolen. They didn't warp the taillights but, they did scratch them up where the covers actually made contact. After that, I got a pair from RK Sport that had the "carbon-fiber look". They were actually clear covers with a black carbon-fiber pattern on the inside. I actually liked those better than the smoked ones. They looked almost completely black in daylight, but at night the taillights were as bright as they were without them. If I can find a pic of the '93 later, I'll post it. Having said that, I don't have covers on my '00. I guess I'm over them…
Old 06-11-2005, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

I dont want mine too dark, and i know you dont have to black them out if you use nightshades. That is what i polan on doing, just a thin smoke layer.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Covers are temporary, ..., NightShades job would be permanent.
I'd vote for the covers, but only use then during cruise nights, weekends, shows, etc.
I've heard of the Camaro taillights warping because of the covers but never heard of it happening on the Firebird side.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

NS is not permanent. Nail polish remover will take it off no problem. You're forgetting that the tint is not creating a very strong bond to the tailights. You don't have to sand the tailights either.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Yes and no because the shadow does restrict visibility SLIGHTLY but it is still very visible. It'd be up to the a-hole filing the report.
U might want to re-think that

Generally speaking (wist some esceptions) when being struck from behind, the person behind is usually the one cited. You have a responsibility to maintain a safe following distance and ensure that you can stop prior to impacting the vehicle ahead.

With that said, the violator may have a slightly defensible position (or at least an arguement) in court stating they could not see your brake lights, etc.

The bigger problem is the insurance companies. If they (either plaintiff or defendant side) should decide that the covers or spray were either the proximate cause of the crash or had a significant impact in the incident, then you may have your claim denied or worse, the other side could use the determination to sub your case and either pay less or not pay at all. Could place you in a bad situation finanically.

It really doesn't matter to the insurance adjusters what the police decide. Totally different worlds.

Personally, I'd do the shades, Quicker and easier to install and would prolly only use them for shows, etc.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

covers
Old 06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've used nite shade and it works great. I wouldn't go with covers unless you like having messed up lenses when you pull off the covers
Old 06-12-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never put those things on my car. I don't want some idiot on their cell phone redesigning my rear bumper for me with their civic...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys, I would think that visibility wouldn't be an issue with covers considering I have a third brake light, but there are a lot of people who drive like fools. I think I'm going to go with the covers and see how they look with brake lights and all that. I like the look of my stock lights but the plan for the car is to maintain the red paint and put some vinyl 30th annv. racing stripes on until I can get the car painted with the stripes. With the black ZR1's or C6 Rims I plan to buy I think the smoked lights would fit the car well.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Be careful with the covers, because mine melted my taillights,after a couple hours in my work parking lot!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having a little experience with 2 sets of warped taillights....I' d go with the NightShades. I' ve seen it on one car, and it looked pretty good, and it won' t warp your taillights, but at first glance you' d swear the car had covers on them.

As far as someone hitting you because they "couldn' t see your taillights".....That' s a BS excuse....if someone can' t see the bight *** "HEY LOOK AT ME" daytime running lights, on the black Z with the BIG cowl hood, and the LOUD exhaust, enough not to pull out in front of my wife and I....WTF makes you guys think they' ll ever see taillights, with OR without taillight covers? If someone can' t notice that they' re suddenly approaching a car at an accelerated rate and that it' s time to hit the brakes, they should be beaten stupid-er!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

personaly, i dont like covers, i think they are dated, i would go with a nice 3d taillight, and have the bucket color matched to you car, looks more custom, not something outa the box...........
Old 06-16-2005, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I think covers are ugly..I painted mine with niteshade..I love it, It looks great. And it looks black, but you can still see the lights when I put on the brakes..no visual problems here.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

what parts store carries nightshades?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autozone and some select stores should have nightshades. I picked up a can on ebay for $20 shipped. I tinted my rear tail lights, rear reflectors, AND my turn signals with one can... and I went pretty dark. Personally, covers compared to nightshades I'd recomend the nightshades because the covers reduce visibility... nightshades doesn't at all. Nightshades is like tinted windows... you can't see in when the interior is dark and there's no lights on, but the second you turn the courtesy lights or a neon accent light on, the tints seem to just disappear (figure of speech) and you can see in perfectly. I put somewhere around 10 thin coats on my tails and they are pretty dark, but you can use nail polish remover to strip the paint right off... like someone else said, Nightshades isn't really making a big bond with the lense. Additionally, you have a better excuse saying your tails came tinted when the DOT numbers are clearly visible with nightshades.

Quick Reply: Smoked Covers or Nite Shade Spray?