Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

New wrx sti

Old 06-12-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default New wrx sti

How fast are these things?
I got into it with one getting onto the highway tonight....was on the damn on ramp goin 90...I almost went off the road...those things must handle real good.

Anyway he jumped on it and then I did. I realed him in but not that fast..the thing could move. I passed him by the time I was goin about 120....we started at about 85-90. By 140 I let off and had him by about 2 cars.

I was impressed.

How fast are these cars supposed to be?....it was probably stock being it was so new.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're real low 13's well driven, which sounds like it was. They can pull 13.1-13.2's consistently
Old 06-12-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

With your car being cammed and all, I really doubt that the STi was stock. I've raced a few when I was stock and didn't have problems with them top-end. However, being a turbo car, a few mods can easily improve top-end.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely wasn't stock. In stock form they trap 100-103 mph.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Launching!

I wonder how much the awd system hurts them at those speeds.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAm12sec
I wonder how much the awd system hurts them at those speeds.
A lot. Saps a lot of power. The EJ25 is a STRONG motor. They put down 220-230 awhp and lose about 25% of the motor's power through the tranny... You do the math- the EJ25 is about equal to that of the LS1 in stock form.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vendetta
A lot. Saps a lot of power. The EJ25 is a STRONG motor. They put down 220-230 awhp and lose about 25% of the motor's power through the tranny... You do the math- the EJ25 is about equal to that of the LS1 in stock form.
I didn't know that Good stuff to know next time I see one. So racing one from a dig is out of the question? I've been wanting to race an Evo or STI pretty bad lately, and a new guy just moved in down the way with a brand new Evo.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

you should be able to take him
Old 06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Well I was probably about 50 feet behind when he took off. I couldnt stay with him too well in the twisties. I also came out of the corner in 4th and not 3rd. At 90 4th is a tad bit too high of gear ( my 3:73's and eaton are awaiting install in my room). SO I guess this could explain some of it.
OR...the car was modded.

OR...my car is a dog...but I have beaten quite a few fast cars with it, so I highly doubt that is the case.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I didn't know that Good stuff to know next time I see one. So racing one from a dig is out of the question? I've been wanting to race an Evo or STI pretty bad lately, and a new guy just moved in down the way with a brand new Evo.
Evos aren't quite as strong. As long as youre in the 12s you shouldn't have much of a problem with the STIs.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree if i had to pick which to race i would definitely go with the evo

EDIT: (over a STi)

Last edited by 98SuperSport; 06-15-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Well I was probably about 50 feet behind when he took off. I couldnt stay with him too well in the twisties. I also came out of the corner in 4th and not 3rd. At 90 4th is a tad bit too high of gear ( my 3:73's and eaton are awaiting install in my room). SO I guess this could explain some of it.
OR...the car was modded.
90 is kind of a off-power speed for your car, too high to be in third effectively and too low to be in the powerband in 4th - so that hurt you a little. WRX's suspension (although softer than evo's) and awd is set up for corners waaaaaaay more than we are (stock vs stock). So that hurt you too. They are rated at 300hp, which is nothing to laugh at i don't care what it is and being a turbo car, they are very easy to get power from. Good race, be careful on those turns!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EVO's can be monster since they have the front mount intercooler setup all that has to be done is a getting a bigger turbo kit. STI's on the other hand are harder to mod. The intercooler sits on top of the engine. Have you ever looked under the hood of an STI??????? If you think our cars are pretty hard to mod just take a look at a WRX. Stock for stock I give it to the EVO MR over STI. Mod for Mod goes to the EVO as well.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a buddy that ran 12.4 with just some little intake and exhaust mods on his STI.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Evos aren't quite as strong. As long as youre in the 12s you shouldn't have much of a problem with the STIs.
"sadaam loves the Yankees"............I about pissed my self from laughing so hard......... I hear the Evo's and STI's pull hard form a dig!!!! I race the drag strip with a seperated set of rims with DR's. On the street I run regular street tires (275/45/18's). I'm confident I would win from a roll, but I'm weary from a dig!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
EVO's can be monster since they have the front mount intercooler setup all that has to be done is a getting a bigger turbo kit. STI's on the other hand are harder to mod. The intercooler sits on top of the engine. Have you ever looked under the hood of an STI??????? If you think our cars are pretty hard to mod just take a look at a WRX. Stock for stock I give it to the EVO MR over STI. Mod for Mod goes to the EVO as well.
Except for the fact that if you fart too loud next to an EVO it'll die!!!!

Last edited by 00Vette; 06-13-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Teching In

A stock EVO MR will lose to a stock STi from a slow roll, the gearing and lag kill it. The 5-60 street starts are almost a full second slower in an EVO (stock vs. stock) From a launch its for the most part a drivers race.

EVOs are easier to mod since that engine is quite old and strong. There are STi's with bigger turbos now still running topmount intercoolers and they do quite well. You should slowly pull from a roll if they are stock, but break out your Nittos if you go from a dig!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blue04
A stock EVO MR will lose to a stock STi from a slow roll, the gearing and lag kill it. The 5-60 street starts are almost a full second slower in an EVO (stock vs. stock) From a launch its for the most part a drivers race.

EVOs are easier to mod since that engine is quite old and strong. There are STi's with bigger turbos now still running topmount intercoolers and they do quite well. You should slowly pull from a roll if they are stock, but break out your Nittos if you go from a dig!
Dont EVO's also come with forged engines from the factory whereas the STI's do not? If thats the case then unless you prefer the body styling of an STI (which most people do) over the EVO I cant see getting one over the EVO if your looking to mod. However ive also seen most STI's around 31K while the MR EVO is about 37K, so I guess you could use that 6 grand to forge the STI engine and still have money left over for a FMIC and a larger turbo. I have a few buddies with both STI's and EVO's and have been in both and from a dig those things hook like a mother and pull like crazy. Like everyone has said stock on the top end they dont pull quite as hard as they do below 100MPH but once they are modded its a whole different story. Raced one of my buddies modded EVO's with an upgraded turbo, titanium magnaflow turboback w/o cats, upgraded blow-off valve, and fully dynotuned on an AWD dyno. Im not positive what size turbo he has in there now since he has gone through a few turbos trying to find the perfect one for his setup but he put down 340+AWHP and 355 AWTQ and man I got smoked. He blew me away from a dig and even from a 55 mph roll I had a tough time staying with him. Wasnt as ugly from the roll but he still had me by a few cars up to around 130 mph. Back to your race though, im sure the STI must have had a few mods because with your list of mods you should be around 350+ rwhp, which would be enough to overtake a stock STI from a highway roll. Good race though!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Modded Evo's and STi's are fun cars.

Stock for Stock a well driven LS1 car should be able to hold it's own in a dig race, granted the Evo or STi isn't punishing their cars with a hellacious AWD launch.

A co-worker just sold his 500WHP pump gas Evo not too long ago. We went for a few rides in it and that thing was a freaking beast. He was on the stock bottom end too. GT40 powered beast!!!!

A buddy of mine also has an 05 STi. Very strong car. From a roll race at about 30mph, we were side by side all the way up to 100.... both of our cars were stock. Now with his mods he has about 300WHP, so my puny SRT doesnt stand a chance from a roll or a dig.... not that it ever had a chance from a dig.

As to preference of the cars, I like the taller gearing of a Standard EVO VIII so I would stick with that. The STi is way too short geared, and when ever you race in any kind of a straight line you have a lot of rowing to do. By the end of the 1/4 my buddy has to shift into 5th gear!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I'm just spoiled by the taller tranny gearing in a fbody?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

I raced an Evo VIII a little while ago. The guy lives down the block from me and one night he came up behind me in a turning lane. I revved and so did he. I took the turn and took the outside lane waiting for him to pull up beside me and im doin about 20 mph. He doesnt line up beside me he just goes right past me and as soon as i could notice thats what he was doin I also punched it. I caught up to him a bit. About half his car was in front of my front bumper but by 100 mph it was just the opposite. We had to slow down for traffic. He was a stock Evo VIII and I have a 2001 Z28 and at the time only had an slp flopac and slp MAF sensor in there. These things definitely put up a good race IMO.

Search this Thread