Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump Bolt

Is there anything that I need to know if I used a longer bolt than is supposed to be in it? I got the bolts switched it looks like from the one that holds the plastic starter cover on the block and the oil pump pick up tube bolt. Will it hurt or do I need to pull the pan back down and switch em out?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it thread in the whole way? I only worry that you may have bottomed out the oil pump bolt before it fully tightened up the pickup tube If youre sure that it did, I dont see what you would have a problem other than your plastic starter cover bolt not reaching anymore .
Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Did it thread in the whole way? I only worry that you may have bottomed out the oil pump bolt before it fully tightened up the pickup tube If youre sure that it did, I dont see what you would have a problem other than your plastic starter cover bolt not reaching anymore .
It went all the way in and tightened up...Hell it may just be the right bolt but I was a little intoxicated when i was tearing the car down...I still have a memory like an elephant though. I was just wondering what was on the other side of the bolt hole...Gears, oil channel, etc that it might be disrupting flow if it was too long.

Mike
Old 06-13-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
It went all the way in and tightened up...Hell it may just be the right bolt but I was a little intoxicated when i was tearing the car down...I still have a memory like an elephant though. I was just wondering what was on the other side of the bolt hole...Gears, oil channel, etc that it might be disrupting flow if it was too long.

Mike
Im pretty sure theyre blind bolt holes. They dont stick into anything. If it fit, I think youre good to go.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ziplock baggies and a label identifying what's in the bag is cheap insurance to avoid this problem. Then again you could just throw everything in a big pile and hope she runs when you turn the key after reassembly.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Ziplock baggies and a label identifying what's in the bag is cheap insurance to avoid this problem. Then again you could just throw everything in a big pile and hope she runs when you turn the key after reassembly.
Normally im pretty good at remembering what goes where...But then again...Im slow...How fast have you been?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

I ran into the same problem putting my motor together, I used the Shorter one the longer one was way to long. I took the timing cover off and checked before I went any further!!!
AND I TOO JUST THROW THE BOLTS IN A PILE AND HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:33 AM
TOZ
On The Tree

That bolt has a different end. But I don`t think it will matter.