Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding letting out clutch in 6th

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding letting out clutch in 6th

My H/C GTO has only 6K miles and has just started to grind when letting out the clutch after shifting into 6th. The grinding can be heard and felt in the shifter, and the gear will not engage (just grinds) When I push in the clutch, shift back to 5th, then try again sometimes it goes into 6th fine.

I searched the archives but it seems most people have problems grinding when shifting into gear. Mine shifts fine but grinds when I let the clutch back out.

Any ideas? I'll probably be taking it back to the dealer but can imagine the crap they'll give me for the "modified" engine and aftermarket shifter (GMM Ripshift).

Could it be shifter stops set incorrectly? synchros?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

I think the reason why it grinding when you let out is because its not all the way in gear and when you let out it's grinding the teeth on the edge of the hub for 6th gears.
The reason why I say this is because I just got mine rebuilt and my 6th gear hub was bad. The teeth get slanted on a hub that moves 6th gear into position.
The slider keys were broke in mine and would'nt go into any gear.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by (JRracing 24
I think the reason why it grinding when you let out is because its not all the way in gear and when you let out it's grinding the teeth on the edge of the hub for 6th gears.
The reason why I say this is because I just got mine rebuilt and my 6th gear hub was bad. The teeth get slanted on a hub that moves 6th gear into position.
The slider keys were broke in mine and would'nt go into any gear.
Thanks for the advice. Hope your rebuild is working out fine for you. Sounds like I need to check my shifter stops? If 6th gear isn't engaging fully I'll end up wearing out the teeth you mention and end up ruining that hub.

Quick Reply: Grinding letting out clutch in 6th