Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conclusion.. MTI 427 coolant leak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:46 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Conclusion.. MTI 427 coolant leak!

Well after 7 months I have a block being sent back to me. First the good Steve at RACE ENGINE DEVELOPMENT is a GREAT guy. He went out of his way to help me out with this motor. He asked me to send him the block to look at.. After inspecting the block the found that the block was not stress relieved. The cylinders were all out of round and the one cylinder was .004 under deck height. Darton saw the post and contacted Steve and said they would send him new sleeves. Afer thousands of views from my other post David Coates from MTI emailed me to try to resolve the problem. After months he said he would send a new block for Steve to install. He also sent a set of bearings and a oil pump. The bearings were bad because the oil pump was installed wrong and alum shavings from the pump took out all the bearings! It took a long time the get the core block!!! BTW after getting the core to Steve, it had a piece broke off and a couple stripped out bolt holes. I would have thought that I would have got a decent block? Oh well. Botom line Steve at race engine is a stand up guy!!!!! He charged me NOTHING to inspect and install the new sleeves that he got from DARTON for no cost to me! Darton sent out new sleeves no cost. Two different companys that went out of their way to because MTI was doing nothing. I bought the engine through Speed Inc. Tom told me he would do what ever it took to make me happy. Mind you they only sold me the motor that MTI machined and put together. SO if your looking for a sleeved 427 I would ONLY call RACE ENGINE DEVELOPMENT! His wealth of knowledge on the Darton wet sleeves is unmatched! Thanks again to Steve at RSD, Darton, Tom at Speed Inc, and even David Coates for trying to do what he could. Andy Essary.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Restricted User

At least some bad stories have a better ending still. Good to hear your getting some support, even if its not from the original machinist.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

It's good to hear that Steve got you taken care of! He is a stand-up guy and probably the most knowledgeable guy on the subject of Darton MID Sleeves by far!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shavings from your oil pump got in your bearings? did it clog up your oil filter?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by BLUEBALLS ZZ
shavings from your oil pump got in your bearings? did it clog up your oil filter?
The housing was rubbing on the crankshaft. Shavings were EVERYWHERE!!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:42 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
It's good to hear that Steve got you taken care of! He is a stand-up guy and probably the most knowledgeable guy on the subject of Darton MID Sleeves by far!
Yes Steve is a great guy! He had nothing to do with the problem, yet he was the FIRST one to offer help. Tell me how many people do that?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn thats awsome.... Looks like we do have some really good sponsors on here that look out for the customer even after another one is not so helpful..... not saying anything bad about MTI.... i should know also.... with the Whole AP Engineering thing going south. Other sponsors stood up to help even when they had nothing to do with it.
There are a bunch of good people and shops out here that go above and beyound what they should... those are the ones that stay around.
Glad ya got it taken care of.
Kyle
Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

It's good to see you got that resolved. You can't go wrong with your spare motor either! If I had not gone with LME for my 408, I would have used Steve to do a 427. He is awesome!!
Old 06-15-2005, 04:24 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
It's good to see you got that resolved. You can't go wrong with your spare motor either! If I had not gone with LME for my 408, I would have used Steve to do a 427. He is awesome!!
Yea, I just fired up the 408 for the first time about ten minutes ago!! It sounds bad ***! The 427 arrived at LME yesterday, Bryan is going to work his magic on that. Things are looking up. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Conclusion.. MTI 427 coolant leak!