Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end purchase???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end purchase???

im at the point now where i am beginning to get serious about purchasing a rear end. now the age old question.....9" or 12-bolt. it is most likely that i will not make more then 460rwhp on this car when it is complete and it will be a street/strip car, so no hardcore racing parts really. which would be better the 9" or the 12-bolt. as of now i am thinking the 12-bolt because of the ABS and TCS but that can always change. i have jumped between the two so much...anyone have any idea?

next, where would be the best place to purchase the rear. im hopefully going to have the money in about a month, and if i dont have it by early july, i will have it by august, so who should i be talking to about this. i saw TTP is normally a pretty good place. im lost. where should i look and who should i talk to? sorry for the long post but im tring to get this solved. thanks everyone - matt
Old 06-14-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has an opinion on this and here is mine. I chose the Strange Engineering 12 Bolt. I wanted to retain ABS and the Strange 12 Bolt is plug and play. The 9" is a bit heavier and consumes ~3% more power over the 12 Bolt. The 12 Bolt comes with 8.875" Gears and is a tough piece. Two of the major 12 Bolt manufacturers is Strnage and Moser. Most go with Moser since the lead time is shorter and they are a tad cheaper. The negative is, it is hit or miss with their quality. Plus, you have to assemble some of the rearend. The Strange has about 4-6 week lead time and is assembled/tested prior to shipment. The only thing you have to do is send them your backing plates and ABS/TCS Reluctors. I bought mine from Tom Byrne when he had the double online discount and saved $200. I bought the upgraded cover and the rearend was $2,429.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

the issue i have is that i need the car every day so if i send in my backing plates and ABS/TCS reluctors i lose use of the car until the new rear comes in correct? or can i get another set and send them in, or purchase them through the company i order from? im not to well knowledged about rear-ends yet i still have some learning to do
Old 06-14-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

At any rate, Moser and Strange will need the reluctors. You can buy those used. As for the backing plates, Moser doesn't need them. You would have to install them once the rearend arrived. Strange would need them and you can purchase a set, new or used. If you purchased a Strange 12 Bolt, you would not have to send them the backing plates right away. I ordered my 12 Bolt 4 weeks ago and they just asked for the backing plates yesterday.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

where did u order your rear from? and what are the specs on it and why did u choose them (sorry for a kinda newbie question) ex. 31 or 33 spline axles or what, and like an auburn posi or a full spool or what. im not quite sure what it all means and what makes them different. so any help on that would be awsome.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered mine from Tom Byrne Motorsports since he one of the only places that sell Strange. I would go no less than 33 spline axles. The Strange comes standard with 33 spline axles and Moser is an upgrade. If you daily drive your car, you do not want a spool. What that does is "welds" the two axles together for straight line racing. The Strange come with an Eaton Super Strength Differential with 400# springs and it very capable. Also, both Strange and Moser have the C-Clip Eliminators for the axles.

Last edited by Blacker; 06-14-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is some info about the Strange 12 Bolt.
Attached Thumbnails rear end purchase???-073.jpg   rear end purchase???-074.jpg  
Old 06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

thanks that helps a lot....strange looks to be the way to go so far. it figures that was what i wanted in the first place, then i jumped to the 9" and heard the moser horror stories from some people and now back to strange...go figure

how do i figure out if my car had the ABS at the axles or on the pumpkin....its a 2000 w/ ABS and TCS

Last edited by CATCH ME; 06-14-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you have TCS, you have the reluctors at each wheel. Thus, you will need a 4 channel 12 Bolt.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CATCH ME
im at the point now where i am beginning to get serious about purchasing a rear end. now the age old question.....9" or 12-bolt. it is most likely that i will not make more then 460rwhp on this car when it is complete and it will be a street/strip car, so no hardcore racing parts really. which would be better the 9" or the 12-bolt. as of now i am thinking the 12-bolt because of the ABS and TCS but that can always change. i have jumped between the two so much...anyone have any idea?

next, where would be the best place to purchase the rear. im hopefully going to have the money in about a month, and if i dont have it by early july, i will have it by august, so who should i be talking to about this. i saw TTP is normally a pretty good place. im lost. where should i look and who should i talk to? sorry for the long post but im tring to get this solved. thanks everyone - matt

I hear the Dana 60 will be out in 3-6 months. I hear alot of 12 bolts have whine problems. I would at least check the set up before I installed it in the car. But I'm not sure which one I'd go with yet.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

im hopefully gonna do the strange but i had some questions. what exactly do i need to get to replace the rear in my car now. i imagine the strange will bolt up, but i need a driveshaft if i am correct, and am i gonna run the risk of breaking my torque arm?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Strange will bot right up. The stock Torque Arm will work. I would upgrade that to a tubular model that does not use the tailshaft as a mounting point. The driveshaft will work as well. It seems the Moser 12 Bolt will ned the driveshaft shortened. The Strange will have a lesser chance of needing the DS shortened. The stock driveshaft is adequate, but a beefier would be better.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

Forget the 12 bolt, to many set up issues and still very possible to break them. Havent heard of to many people breaking a 9" with a locker. Get a 9", You wont regret it.

CMC
Old 06-16-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mighty 9" can break easy as well. What kills the 9" or 12 Bolt is wheel hop. The locker is not for everybody. If you constantly drag race the car, you will need a locker or spool. The lockers can be noisy due to the inherent design. With a daily driver, the Eaton will work just fine.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

its still has to be a daily driver so a locker would not be a good idea i figure. also i would do the 9" but from the people around me and other cars i have seen and the people i have talked to not many have had problems with their 12 bolts breaking. also im not making a ton of power so i dont think i need the extra security of the 9". but who knows i have changed my mind like 4,000,000 times in the last 3 months
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Banned

Very true but I have seend people sheer the teeth off a ring and pinion on very little power with a 12 bolts and toss posi's with minimal effort. The design of a 9" is just superior I am not saying that it wont work for you, it might but my opinion that the benefits of a 9" far outweigh any of the good points that a 12 bolt has over it. If you ever plan on running some decent power then I would say 9". A soft locker is FAR from unbearable by the way. It gets a little toucy every now and then but on normal driving I forget its even in there.

CMC
Old 06-16-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

9". 460 rwhp for a 3500+lb car is a little hefty. Like mentioned before, a lot of the 12 bolts are whining. www.billingsleyracing.com try looking here. As far as a locker/spool for a daily driver I don't know. I'm glad I don't have tomake that decision. I've run spools on the street and now that's all I will run. But spools aren't for everybody but I would definetly go with the 9". You can can keep your abs and tcs if you want to on a 9" also.

Last edited by blue01ta; 06-16-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i definately think go with the 9" and a locker

i got a moser but if i could do it again i would go with a billingsley
Old 06-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

The billingsley 9" is a moser housing with strange center. I dont know if they set it up themselves. If I didnt do rear end work myself I would go there.

CMC
Old 06-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

Trust me a 31 spline soft locker is not bad AT ALL. Most of the time I forget I have it in there. Sorry forgot to put that part in there.

CMC

Quick Reply: rear end purchase???