Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 problems help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 problems help

I think i have a few problems with my t56 it has a 50,000 miles on it. Sometimes it will pop out of third when i shift easy but i think i may no be putting it in gear all the way, but now it is almost impossible to get in reverse. could the stock hurst shifter be causign this? anyone sell a rebuild kit for these or a repair manual? thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should search around, but I will give you some help.

The poping out of 3rd is likely the aluminum shift fork in the early trannies. That needs to be replaced with a steel one. My tranny did the same thing. Not going into revers could be a couple things like bent fork, junk synchros.

Go to Tremec website for a rebuild manual, its free. As for parts, I got them from Gearbox, but D&D and Rockland are also good.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

reverse is not synchro'd yea most likely just a bad shift fork... it happens to me sometimes at slower speeds. i just deal with it... it doesn't happen all the often.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imslow
reverse is not synchro'd yea most likely just a bad shift fork... it happens to me sometimes at slower speeds. i just deal with it... it doesn't happen all the often.
Same herrr..... As long as the bitch dont pop out when I am whooping some's *** I am ok with it.

Before putting it in reverse, try puting it in 1st gear then go to reverse. You align the synchros (or so I heard).
Old 06-17-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by imslow
Whoa buddy, no need for the bashing. Have you ever taken apart a T56? I have taken mine totally apart twice now, and I can tell you reverse gear does have a syncrhonizer assembly. This is one of the differences between a T56 and the old musclecar trannys. Just for proof here is what is on the Tremec website:

This six-speed overdrive transmission was developed for adaptation to a wide range of vehicle requirements. Currently, the TREMEC T-56 is being used on the Dodge Viper, Chevy Corvette Z06, Ford SVT Mustang Cobra, Aston Martin DB7 Vantage and V12 Vanquish, and Holden Commodore and Monaro.

Features:

Center Distance - 85 mm
Double overdrive provides extended ratio coverage and allows for closer ratio steps
Aluminum die cast housings for reduced weight
Tapered roller bearings on main and countershafts reduce noise and improve durability
Needle bearing under all speed gears improve high speed performance and reduce shift effort
Advanced synchronizer technology
Powdered steel core blocker rings
Engineered friction materials for improved durability
Multiple cone synchronizer design for lower shift effort and increased capacity
Patented strut-type synchronizer design for improved durability
******Constant mesh synchronized reverse******
Internal, single-rail shift system
Integral clutch adaptor with front cover end-loading design for increased driveline bending strength and greater application adaptability
Multiple shift lever locations

Here is link where you can download the parts/service manual. Reverse synchro assembly is part number 62.
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, but I am not wrong on this. You might show a bit more respect as a new member.

Quick Reply: t56 problems help