Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Starting tranny removal 2nite... advice?

Old 06-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting tranny removal 2nite... advice?

I need to get this started asap! I've decided not to change the clutch yet because it works perfectly and I don't want to open that can of worms till I have to. I will take the tranny off the bellhousing and leave the bellhousing on the engine. How high do I need to get the car off the ground? Is there any good write ups on this? The Chiltons manual from Auto Zone doesn't have much detail and NO pictures. I'm very good mechanically and could figure this out on my own, but I sure could use a few tips. Any special tools or things I should replace will this is done? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

whats the reason you're taking out the tranny? I'm guessing your gonna take it in for some work or something. It's easy actually. I just did mine in Feb. Just make sure you take out the center counsel first and remove the shifter. I took off the shifter and shaft itself but forgot to unbolt the base and that ended up getting hung up on the floorpan. That was my only other problem. That and I have an X-pipe which kept getting in the way. Even still I just jacked my car as far as my 4 jack stands could go and crawled under. Its easier if you have a transjack that can adjust the level of the tranny and stuff. I did it all myself and took about 2 hours for the removal, and I was taking my time. Give me a PM if you run into problems. The Chiltons manual is plenty enough. There's really not much to it.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Banned

Thanks for the reply! I burnt the 3rd gear synchro at the track Friday and possibly bent the shift fork, so.... I plan on forced induction soon so this would be a good time to get this done anyway. Besides parts costs (about $300) how much should be expected for a labor charge? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Banned

Default don't worry about it.

it's very straight forward. pretty simple. i don't know where you are getting your info from. but make sure you don't take the torque arm off... just unbolt the bracket and let it swing up to the floor board... also, don't disconnect the slave cylinder, just pull the trans back and rest the input shaft on the bellhousing. reach up and take out the two 10mm bolts holding it on the shaft. then slide the trans back far enough to slide the slave off the end of the input shaft and just let it hang there. that way you don't have to deal w/ bleeding the clutch line. saves time and headaches. also tools if you have a short temper like i do. hmm... let's see. any others.... the car should be a good 2 ft off the ground so y ou can slide the trans out, and have room to be under there working w/ ease. remember to draing the trans fluid BEFORE you unbolt the driveshaft. that's about it. you should be able to do this pretty easily. i've done this 5 times. i have done it all by myself, in and out... i just get on my back w/ my head under the bellhousing, and slide the trans backwards and let the trans rest on my chest... then carefully just roll it onto the ground. and the same thing to re-install it. i'm not a big guy and was able to do this, so i think just about anyone w/ a teeny bit of muscle could do it by themselves. good luck!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

Thanks Mr.slow!!! That's a great write up! I plan to tidy up my lil' garage and get the jack stands set up tonight. Will start tearing it apart tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

labor is typically 250+parts...I would expect coming out of there for around $750.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

I took mine out and the guy showed me every peice it needed right there on the bench. Labor was 250 and parts were 600. He might have made a little on the parts but he should for stocking them.
I also used a tranny jack on the floor with car at about 20" of clearance. I'm putting it back in tonight. with oz700 clutch.
I hope it goes well for ya.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a tranny jack... that is all...
Old 06-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Banned

Cool. A lil' than less I was expecting. I'm trying to find someone here in the Atlanta area to save frieght charges. Does anyone know somebody with T56 experience within 75 miles?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hourang
get a tranny jack... that is all...
Looks like you have all the good tips. I 2nd the tranny jack, for removal and installation, dont need to take a chance of damage or injury to yourself. Rent one, I bought a cheap version at Harbo Freight works great, cost about 60.00 even better than renting. As for pulling up the center counsel once you remove your cross member you can lower the trans a bit before you disconnect from the bell housing. You will hae enough room to remove the 4 bolts that hold the shifter assy. And then pull the trany out, safes some time and dont have to mess up the interior. But if you are going to take your tranny in for repair I guess you might need the shifter installed.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

Thanks 618. I'm going to po-boy it without the tranny jack. I'm going to use a floor jack and have my fiancee help me keep it steady while I lower it down. All my money is going into the rebuild. Found a shop locally so I don't have to pay freight.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Trann jack definetly helps, I had my car up on the little ramps you buy at auto zone, and that was plenty high, plus IMO they are sturdier then jack stands (unless you're usin 4tons) but the removal/install is very strait forward, if you go to http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm and go to the bottom were it says mcloud clutch install, you should find everthing you need (to pull tranny) but otherwords its very strait forward, took me and a buddy about an hour and 15-30 minutes with a little bs'in around to get tranny out.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

I have changed my mind- I plan to buy a trans jack. I plan to use the ramps on the front and jackstands under the axle. We'll see.

Search this Thread