Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on timing chain and oil pump for 99 LS1

Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on timing chain and oil pump for 99 LS1

I am about to do a cam swap on my 99 LS1 and planning to change out the stock timing chain and oil pump while I was in there. Here is what I was going to do and waned some input on my decisions before I make them. Now, this is a daily driver and not a drag car, but I will be doing occational red light and interstate brawls with it.

LS2 timing - thought it would be the best bang for the buck and heard that it was much stronger than the LS1 stocker. Is it for sure that this will work with my stock crank and cam gears?

LS6 oil pump - non ported factory part as I would deburr it myself and leave the pressure spring stock. My stock LS1 pump is doing excellent with zero problems, but thought I might as well change it while I was down there. Also will change the o ring too. What is the difficulty factor removing the crank gear and realigning the new pump?

Is there anything else I should change while I am in there?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider a double row chain (Rollmaster) altho it does increase the difficulty of putting the oil pump back because of the required shims and the fact that the pickup tube is no longer in direct alignment with the input port of the oil pump. It's worth the added insurance at around $100 and it's not really that hard as long as you pay close attention to the shims and take your time in getting the pickup tube flange bolt started into the pump. An aftermarket pump is slightly more expensive than the chain. It will give you a few added lbs. of pressure over the OEM pump, but if your satisfied with the output of the factory pump and cash is a factor that's one item you might leave off of your list as the GM part is more than adequate.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Springs, titanium retainers, and perhaps some hardened pushrods.

BTW I found an LS2 timing chain here for $32. cheapest I've found yet.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...05&catalogid=1
Old 06-14-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can buy the LS2 chain from gmpartdirect for 25.00

Yes, I already have the tit seat, HD pushrods, springs, etc. Was just wondering if I was overlooking anything.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

thats exactly what I did, my 99 stock pump was doing fine but I went ahead and bought a new one, smoothed out the intake/exit a little, and added a shim to increase the pressure. I bought a ls2 chain too. Its a lot more sturdy looking than the stock ls1.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

When my cam was installed. I kept the stock timing chain and oil pump. If it works why change it.

When I get my new 383. I will be using the LS2 chain and LS6 pump.

Search this Thread