Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

quick question about reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about reverse

I have a problem with my t56. It very rarely will go into reverse sometimes its like it goes half in and out you can hear the internals in the tranny spinning when it does this but its not in gear. Just wondering if the clutch is the problem maybe it isnt engaging and disengaging all of the way, but if this was the case wouldnt it do this in every gear? thanks
sometimes it will go inot gear fine though.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its an opereator problem. You are not fully engaging reverse. It could be due to wear/ damage of the clutching teeth on the reverse gear/ synchro that "tricks "you into not throwing it far enough into gear. Use more force.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000bean
I have a problem with my t56. It very rarely will go into reverse sometimes its like it goes half in and out you can hear the internals in the tranny spinning when it does this but its not in gear. Just wondering if the clutch is the problem maybe it isnt engaging and disengaging all of the way, but if this was the case wouldnt it do this in every gear? thanks
sometimes it will go inot gear fine though.
I have the same problem, this is what I do. If i park the car, i make sure i park it in reverse. If I can roll backwards on an incline I push the clutch in and slide it into reverse. If those two fail I push in the clutch and shift into 3rd and 4th and then into reverse. If all that fails, I shift into reverse and jam it in. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: quick question about reverse