Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it hurt to shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it hurt to shift

I have a 02 ss a4 and was wondering if shifting on a run is bad on the trans and if there is any particular way you shoud shift with a auto.Thanks fellas
Old 06-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Launching!

i asked the same question on ls1.com and got the following response: from UCF "Do you know what it's called an automatic transmission?" and from Danger731 "Hold coffee in R hand, L hand on steering wheel, R foot, stomp on the gas pedal" hope this helped
Old 06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ivans02ss
I have a 02 ss a4 and was wondering if shifting on a run is bad on the trans and if there is any particular way you shoud shift with a auto.Thanks fellas

Well I wont be as rude as they were.. ...But you really shouldnt shift the trans. Ill give you some input on what i have gathered over the year and a half i have had my car. And im sure some other guys who know more than me will tell you there experences...First from a stop light. Put the gear selector in first. Then when you stand on it, shift the gear selector in to D. When your crusing around put it in OD. But DONT WOT at OD. Shift down to D. That is the only "down shifthing" you should do. If your on the Highway and you have to race, then click from OD to D. That way you dont burn out your OD. Buy a shift kit, and a trans cooler, oh hell and get a stall too. That way, your shifts will be firmer, higher, and tighter. Im sure i for got something...
Old 06-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blue2000Z28
Well I wont be as rude as they were.. ...But you really shouldnt shift the trans. Ill give you some input on what i have gathered over the year and a half i have had my car. And im sure some other guys who know more than me will tell you there experences...First from a stop light. Put the gear selector in first. Then when you stand on it, shift the gear selector in to D. When your crusing around put it in OD. But DONT WOT at OD. Shift down to D. That is the only "down shifthing" you should do. If your on the Highway and you have to race, then click from OD to D. That way you dont burn out your OD. Buy a shift kit, and a trans cooler, oh hell and get a stall too. That way, your shifts will be firmer, higher, and tighter. Im sure i for got something...
Thanks for the advise
Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Launching!

i'm sorry if that was taken as rude. it was all in good fun at the time. by the way blue2000 that was really helpful. i didn't know any of that.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jassick
i'm sorry if that was taken as rude. it was all in good fun at the time. by the way blue2000 that was really helpful. i didn't know any of that.

ah..I got ya, it was my bad, i took it as people being smartasses..LoL...anyway, I hope that stuff helps you all out, im kinda new to this stuff to..to the shifting part, just make sure you dont do it..It was all info i gathered from the past year...So good luck to you all
Old 06-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jassick
Don't worry about it its cool.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt reccomend shifting a electronic 4l60, i smoked 3 seperate ones, all i could figure was that they are cheaply put together.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can shift your a4 manually but you will need to do a few things first. Get a shift kit(trans go), this will allow you to shift your car to any gear you like at any speed(caution:you can blow the trans and motor if you downshift to a gear that is over the speed limit of the gear--over rev the motor). What im saying is that first gear is only good up to 44mph(with a 3.23 gear rear), If you downshift to first while going 50mph you will instantly send the rpm's up and over your rev limiter causing valve float and blowing your motor--this is mechanical overload. With that said if you slip with the shifter while on the highway you will be pissed off when you blow your ****... Next you need to have programming to change shift times cause if you dont, when you shift from 1st to 2nd it will litterally take a few seconds for it to shift. Need to lower the shift time table. Next you would need to get a ratchet shifter(no one makes one for our cars yet). The reason for the ratchet shifter is the same reason you dont want to hit first gear doing 50mph. The ratchet shifter will only allow one gear change at a time preventing any missed shifts.
Hope this helps a bit. I have the shift kit and reprogrammed the trans tables using ls1 edit. I dont have a ratchet shifter yet due to none available yet. Some guys on this board did custom installs of ratchet shifters so it can be done, theirs just no direct bolt in replacement for the factory piece of junk..
Shifting an auto can come in handy at the track when you are trying to see what shift points work best with out having to try and play around with a programmer/laptop at the track. It is also usefull when in traffic where its almost a dead stop(i keep it in first cuse by the time the trans shifts to second i have to stop) and the last situation is it makes the car a little more fun to drive with out going full out manual
Old 06-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

But DONT WOT at OD. Shift down to D. That is the only "down shifthing" you should do. If your on the Highway and you have to race, then click from OD to D. That way you dont burn out your OD.
Not so, dude ... (from James B.) "A 4 to 2 downshift is easier for a 4L60-E to do than a 3-2 downshift. It is a single event of disengaging the 3-4 clutch pack. Downshifting from 3 to 2 has to release the 3-4 clutch pack and engage the band at the same time. Keep in mind that mechanically the 4L60-E is only a 2-speed auto with overdrive."
Old 06-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Not so, dude ... (from James B.) "A 4 to 2 downshift is easier for a 4L60-E to do than a 3-2 downshift. It is a single event of disengaging the 3-4 clutch pack. Downshifting from 3 to 2 has to release the 3-4 clutch pack and engage the band at the same time. Keep in mind that mechanically the 4L60-E is only a 2-speed auto with overdrive."

Hey like i said above, I have heard different things, but I guess if you want to do it, i wouldnt recomend it. I have heard #'s of people blowing there stuff because of it....But i guess it make's since!
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havew been told NEVER go into OD at WOT.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

thanks to all of yall. I am more clear on what I can do and can't do thanks again.One day I hope to be as knowledgeable as you guys.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Teching In

"First from a stop light. Put the gear selector in first. Then when you stand on it, shift the gear selector in to D. "

This is not good on the L/R (Low/Reverse) clutches, I would advise against it.

"oh hell and get a stall too. "

I wouldn't waste my money on a high stall converter unless you have done some hi performance work on the engine itself.

transman
Old 06-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

Default hey

Listen Up. Putting your transmission in manual low is the best way to launch these cars.. When your in manual low you have boosted hyd, you apply your low reverse clutch backing up your mechanical low roller clutch, thus you have two elements holding the launch, and boosted hyd system .its easier on the low roller. If for some reason your powering through your low roller then it might be hard on your clutch and if this is the case you have to pull it and change out the roller anyways...Hope this helps ....Dave
Old 07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont shift it. Im havign mine rebuilt this week b/c i did and that was the first question he asked me...its an auto for a reason....as was said above, only downshifting you should do is from OD to D...THATS IT!!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man,,,, what a bunch of bullshit.
How many more times is this going to be asked.....
Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Is OD = D in TA's and D = 3? Sorry if that sounds silly but I thought Camaro's were the only ones with OD?

Transman: Plenty of people buy stalls without getting "hi performance work on the engine itself"... not sure why it would matter either... possibly the trans work but...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I manually shift mine, but then again it's a manual valve body th350. Unless you have something that was made and designed to be manually shifted, let the computer do it's magic. That's what it's there for
Old 07-28-2005, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

The only time I shift mine is to get 2nd gear from a roll. Other than that I leave it in 3 to race and D to cruise. Haven't had any problem yet (Knock on wood )

Chris