Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What color of touch up paint to go with?

Old 06-15-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What color of touch up paint to go with?

I have a '98 T/A, and although it was originally black, it was resprayed bright red (I believe, it looks similar to other non-repainted FBodies). Anyways, I went to a GM service parts dealer today, got "the right" bottle of paint of "Bright Red"... Well yeah, I touch up a spot and the ******* touch up paint is PINKISH PURPLE!

How the hell can GM make touch up paint for their own cars that isn't even near a matching color? Should I go with Ford Red? It's more of an orange-red and that would definitely be a better match up than this ****** color GM made.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Did you have it painted? If not maybe they didnt use GM Bright red. I've used GM touch up paint on my bright red TA and it looked fine.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have Rio Red (Ford) on your car... honestly you'll never know until you find out from the person who painted your car.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

That's funny, my GM bright red touch up looks bright red. Infact I had a chip on the nose that I used the bright red on along with some clear and you can't even see it.

I would go to the parts store and buy every shade of Duplicolor/Plastikote bright red touch up that they have. One has to be close.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just gonna go with Ford Red because it's a red-orange and will be a lot closer than what I got from GM parts.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the brightest red autozone sold, its a slight bit darker than my car, but close enough till i get the bumper re-painted... agian.... damn rock chips!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by natronathon
i got the brightest red autozone sold, its a slight bit darker than my car, but close enough till i get the bumper re-painted... agian.... damn rock chips!
ha, my hood needs to be repainted because of rocks, the bumper needs replacement because of ******* drivers at the school parking lot, you know what, the whole damn car needs to be repainted

Search this Thread