Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon speaker dilemma solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monsoon speaker dilemma solved

Well for me at least.
As typical my 6.5 inch sail panel subs were shot. I searched around on here and on the net for a replacement and basically came up empty handed.
As luck would have it I discovered someone local that rebuilds speakers.
Which BTW is a lost art. My speakers only needed foam surrounds. Well I installed them today and boy what a difference!! I bought the car with these speakers already shot. So to have them working properly now was quite a surprise. I do have to say though that I am severely dissapointed with the GM monsoon system. The mach 260 system in my mustang gt was much better. If anyone needs this guys info I will be glad to provide it.
Anyhow, I have now discovered that one of the cargo area tweeters is shot.
It is riveted to the plastic I noted.
I been thinking of taking said tweeters and speakers in the cargo area and
replacing it with an aftermarket full range 6x9, figuring it would give me a little more bottom end, being a larger speaker anyway.
But the problem is that GM wired everything seperate and you can't tell what impedance the amplifier sees.
As it is now the cargo speakers are 4 ohms for the tweeters and 4 ohm for the speaker. My question is are they connected in parallel or what?
I am trying to basically figure out what 6x9 to get so as not to over drive the amp.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe the hatch area will hold a 6x9. I believe it is too big.

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/m...mpFirebird.htm
here is the pin out on the monsoon in the trans am. I hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's the alpine type-x spx-17mb that should fit our cars..

I haven't had too much luck finding actual writeups/opinions on this driver though. Still trying to find a local place where I can listen to them.