Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Best after market rear for streetcar???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best after market rear for streetcar???

I'm looking for a rearend for my M6 and I didn't know there were so many options when looking to ick up a 9" or a 12 bolt. What one should i go with and as far as ooptions.. like spool and all the axle options. I have no clue. I would like to have a rear end that will handle well into the 10's.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Banned

If you are shooting for the 10's with an M6 then I would say a 9" is in your future. You can try a 12 bolt but I see no need for you to put money into it and not have the strongest out there. You will need either a Locker or a Spool.

CMC
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
I'm looking for a rearend for my M6 and I didn't know there were so many options when looking to ick up a 9" or a 12 bolt. What one should i go with and as far as ooptions.. like spool and all the axle options. I have no clue. I would like to have a rear end that will handle well into the 10's.
Is it a daily driver or a weekend cruiser? If you want to go 10's I'd also say the 9". Well I'd say the 9" either way. A daily driver you may want to go with a locker. If it's a weekend cruiser I'd get a spool with 35 spline axles. Better to be a little too strong than a little too weak.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

As you can see I don't know much about rear ends (except for the kinds with 2 legs attached) whats the difference between lockers...spools... and posi's? I kinda know but would like a better descirpiton.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can see I don't know much about rear ends (except for the kinds with 2 legs attached) whats the difference between lockers...spools... and posi's? I kinda know but would like a better descirpiton.
A spool locks the axles together. They will always turn both tires at the exact same speed. For going in a straight line that is fantastic. For making a sharp turn it's not so good. The inside tire will have to break loose, the car will hop, or something will break. Spools are hard on tires, frames, and rear ends. But you will never again worry about one wheel peel. They also don't need "freshened" up. They are a solid piece of steel/aluminum. I prefer spools. But not everybody does especially on a car that will be a daily driver.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

A locker is a geared ratcheting differential-very strong & somewhat noisey. Spools are the strongest but not differentials- they lock the axels so when you turn there is no slip between the inside & outside wheels, OK for dry conditions but somewhat dangerous in rain. Posi is a limited slip differential where clutches control how much the inside & outside tires can have different rotational speeds depending on power applied. Quiter & smoother than a locker. Positrac clutches will wear quickly under repeated hard accelleration runs such as drag racing. I wore out my posi unit in about 50 runs at the track ( it started "single tracking) & have now switched to a locker, should have gone with the locker to begin with.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

So are lockers good for everyday driving?????
Old 06-16-2005, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

I you consider turning the steering wheel while in motion, don't even think aboput a spool. What a pain in the ***. Great for the strip, but so incredibly unsuited for street use.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned

Lockers are fine for everyday driving. Especially if you get the 31 spline soft locker. It has a preload spring in it so it doesnt click as hard.

CMC

Quick Reply: Best after market rear for streetcar???