Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Which box to help hide amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which box to help hide amp

Whas up guys, looking for a little advise, I want either the subthump rear well enclosue (2x12's) or the q-logic one. I think I like the Q-logic one because of the fiberglass cover, here is my dilema:
I hae a RF t8004 amp that I want to hide, the amp measures:
h:2.6"
w:12.8"
l:23"

I want to hide the amp in the well. Has anyone seen the two afore mentioed boxes? Will the amp fit somewhere in the well with either of these boxes. Oh yea, I need to fit a cap in there also....
Old 06-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Just FYI, the q-logic doesn't have a fiberglass cover. It's plastic. It's simply a very heavy wedge shaped hatch box made out of particle board with a plasic cover over top.
The subthump boxes are much lighter, have more air space, and are made out of mdf.
There is room under the box for amps and caps. That's where I put all my equipment.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want one completely hidden get an MTX Thunderform box it has a cloth cover and anyone who doesnt know about that little open space in the trunk would think that the box is part of the car...
Old 06-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

I got 2 12's though...and must keep my spare, that looks kool though.
If you look at the pics:

http://community.webshots.com/album/164656539gRWehk

The board looks like mdf from the link above, you gott admit the plastice cover looks kool on the q-logic box. I am starting to lean towards the subthump though..
Thanks...
Old 06-16-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THOSE ARE MY PICS!!! STEALER!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Sorry man, It does look good though....
Old 06-17-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

get the subthump t-top box if you have t-tops....... ive got one and it looks as clean as the q-logic box and u have a place for t-tops. ive got one with 2 12" audiobahns and a MTX 500x2 amp under the box and u would never know it was their. and btw it only weighs a good 12lbs at tha most empty...
Old 06-18-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that Beef Jerky Mod. lol

Good idea. Pretty funny that you used that kind of bag.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richiec77
I like that Beef Jerky Mod. lol

Good idea. Pretty funny that you used that kind of bag.
Thanks. It was to keep the tip that holds the drill bit from scarring up the areas where I had to drill holes to mount the subs. My buddy and I were eating jerky and trying to think of how to go about that situation. And what do you know... we finished the bag just at that moment.

Necessity is the mother of invention
Old 06-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. It was to keep the tip that holds the drill bit from scarring up the areas where I had to drill holes to mount the subs. My buddy and I were eating jerky and trying to think of how to go about that situation. And what do you know... we finished the bag just at that moment.

Necessity is the mother of invention
How heavy is the plastic piece? Is there room underneath for a big amp(about 1 foot x 2 feet)
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by keving711556
How heavy is the plastic piece? Is there room underneath for a big amp(about 1 foot x 2 feet)
The plastic piece is very light. It is actually just an overlay that goes on top of the box, which is the heavy part. The box probably weighs about 60 pounds or so, plus the weight of the subs. It is no light weight piece, that's for sure. But, you can't beat the stealthy looks of it. As for room underneath... the box pretty much sits all the way down into the t-top area. I'm not too sure there would be that kind of room for an amp. You can see where I mounted mine, just to get access to it easier, plus I was pretty lazy after working on installing the subs. It's by no means a pro installation of the amp, but it will work until I figure out what the hell I'm gonna do with my system, if I'm keeping it or not and how I can rearrange it to look better.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

The plastic piece is very light. It is actually just an overlay that goes on top of the box, which is the heavy part. The box probably weighs about 60 pounds or so, plus the weight of the subs. It is no light weight piece, that's for sure. But, you can't beat the stealthy looks of it. As for room underneath... the box pretty much sits all the way down into the t-top area. I'm not too sure there would be that kind of room for an amp. You can see where I mounted mine, just to get access to it easier, plus I was pretty lazy after working on installing the subs. It's by no means a pro installation of the amp, but it will work until I figure out what the hell I'm gonna do with my system, if I'm keeping it or not and how I can rearrange it to look better.
Interesting, as their web site says "8 1/4" mounting depth", and from the PDF instalation guide, it looks like it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the well. I think megabass works for subthumb or some thing like that, so i think his opinion is biased. I think I am going to have to try and find one locally and do some measuring. I know its allot of thinking , but I think the q-logic one looks so much cooler....thanks allot guys!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, but you gotta worry about the plastic piece for the t-tops that sits up a good couple inches in the trunk as well. If you removed that, you may have a place for an amp. I didn't try it though.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I do not have t-tops, so I have not seen what you are describing. I guess there is some plastic peice that holds t-tops in the bottom of the well?
So if I do not have that piece do you all think a good size amp will fit down there. I need to hide that bad boy like a dead body.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm good point, didn't think about that one. I'd have to actually check to see if there would be enough room but I'm out here in CA working for the summer. My car remains under wraps at home until mid August
Old 06-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm good point, didn't think about that one. I'd have to actually check to see if there would be enough room but I'm out here in CA working for the summer. My car remains under wraps at home until mid August
geez, a lot of help you are, JK. I think it will fit. Im going to start searching for the best price right now, unless one of you all can hook a brother up....
Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got mine from Crutchfield. A bit pricey... but it's good quality.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lYq73UQ...0&I=044CFT2019