Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter not locking when warm

Old 06-16-2005, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter not locking when warm

I got my tranny temp gauge in, and I noticed that it will not lock if its over 150 degrees. So right when I get in the car after its been sitting, locks and unlocks perfect, but as soon as the temp goes over 150, it will not lock until it cools down. Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done anything with the tranny tables. The misfire table can also cause the converter not to lock.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by strokedls1
Have you done anything with the tranny tables. The misfire table can also cause the converter not to lock.
I havn't tuned or messed with anything since i put it in and it hasn't thrown a misfire code at all. Any other ideas?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

It doesn't have to throw codes for it to not lock up with misfires. I would think tuning could solve your problem. Know anyone with a hp tuner cable for your model year that could help you out?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

It doesn't have to throw codes for it to not lock up with misfires. I would think tuning could solve your problem. Know anyone with a hp tuner cable for your model year that could help you out?
I don't think they make hp tuners for lt1's . And why would it misfire only after it gets to 150 degrees, and not before? It will always lock if its under 150.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry bro I was thinking you had a ls1. Not sure how the lt1 works. It may be that you are going into a closed loop mode at that temperature were it starts looking at misfire data. I would try to talk to a auto tranny shop to see what they think. Maybe call the company that you got the converter from.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry bro I was thinking you had a ls1. Not sure how the lt1 works. It may be that you are going into a closed loop mode at that temperature were it starts looking at misfire data. I would try to talk to a auto tranny shop to see what they think. Maybe call the company that you got the converter from.
I talked to the company, Racing Edge, and they had no idea why it wouldn't lock when it hits 150 degrees. The converter has nothing to do with tempature. He said the converter should be locking even when the temp hits 235 right before it turns the fluid black, heh. He said he thought it could only be a tuning problem of some sort, but didn't have any other ideas than that.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a bad seal at the O-ring (converter to turbine shaft) you will get lock-up when cold, as the fluid heats up and gets thinner it will leak more and not allow the clutch to stay on
You might check this!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yank
If you have a bad seal at the O-ring (converter to turbine shaft) you will get lock-up when cold, as the fluid heats up and gets thinner it will leak more and not allow the clutch to stay on
You might check this!
Hrm, that sounds like it could be it. Damnit, i don't wanna have to drop the tranny again . Have any other ideas, i liked the idea of tuning better

Search this Thread