Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Swapping radios between cars?

Old 06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping radios between cars?

My sister just got an 02 Impala. The current stereo is a tape player and she would like a CD player. I have been told that this model car routes some functions through the radio and can cause problems if replaced by an aftermarket unit. I've looked at used factory CD players and they're cheap enough but some folks are saying that they need to be programmed with a Tech II in order to function. I'm looking for some information on this. If you could point me to a website or forum, I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you know about these radios, please post up. Also, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 06-16-2005, 04:26 PM

I dont think it will cause problems but some functions may not work. I know my buddy installed a tv in his 03 or 04 grand prix and some functions didnt work..
Old 06-17-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I've read that the chimes (door etc.) won't work and you can't reset the oil light if you go aftermarket. So I'm liking the idea of a factory CD player. However, I've read that the radio is programmed with part of the VIN number such that if I swap in a used CD player, it won't work unless I reprogram with a Tech II. Anyone know about this? Is this something that can be reprogrammed with HPTuners?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

I know some of the radios have certain functions running through them. Airbag, chime,etc..
I haven't heard about reprograming it with a tech II. I was told, when checking on my mothers truck radio swap, that I could go two ways. One was to by this long cable and install the factory radio in the back to keep the factory functions working. The second was a little box which took care of the same thing with haveing the factory radio in the back. Of course it did depend on which model system you have.

Search this Thread