Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LC-1 and narrowband simulation

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LC-1 and narrowband simulation

I asked this question in another thread and didn't really get a response. I'm fairly confident I'm not the only one who would like to know the answer, so here it goes...

I ordered the LC-1 and I'm trying to figure out how to set it up in place of the stock narrowband O2 (B2S1). In order to avoid throwing a code, I would like to have the Analog Out 1 signal, which is programed to simulate the narrowband readings, sent back to the PCM. My question is, could I use the connector from a stock O2 sensor to wire up the LC-1?

The idea I'm shooting for assumes there's a switch 12v source and a ground in the female side of the connection that could be used to power the LC-1 and avoid any DTC's. Then, all that's left to hook up (I believe) is the narrowband signal from the Analog Out 1. If anyone has any knowledge/ideas about setting something up like this, I'm very interested in what you have to say.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

you need some type of heater circuit as the pcm monitors that also
Old 06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is what I'm planning on doing also. You can get the LC-1 manual off their web site, it has a section on how to set it up for the narrowband sim. As for switched 12V, one of the wires from the stock O2 connector has this. But I think you'll also have to run wires from the wideband sensor back to the LC-1 box.

My main concern is whether the simulated narrowband on one bank will be equivalent to the real one on the other bank - if they aren't, you'll get different fuel trims on each bank even though actual a/f might be the same. Since the analog output is programmable, I assume you could adjust for this if it happens.

As for the stock sensor heater being disconnected, I don't think it would set a code, since the PCM only detects this (I think) by the sensor taking too long to produce good readings. But, you could just disable that code if it comes up.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by patSS/00
This is what I'm planning on doing also. You can get the LC-1 manual off their web site, it has a section on how to set it up for the narrowband sim. As for switched 12V, one of the wires from the stock O2 connector has this. But I think you'll also have to run wires from the wideband sensor back to the LC-1 box.

My main concern is whether the simulated narrowband on one bank will be equivalent to the real one on the other bank - if they aren't, you'll get different fuel trims on each bank even though actual a/f might be the same. Since the analog output is programmable, I assume you could adjust for this if it happens.

As for the stock sensor heater being disconnected, I don't think it would set a code, since the PCM only detects this (I think) by the sensor taking too long to produce good readings. But, you could just disable that code if it comes up.
I suppose I could disable codes, but I was hoping to do this without having to. I don't want to be stuck in open loop or something like that, which is the reason for all of my questions. I figure if I get the VE and PE tables dialed in via speed-density, I still want to make sure all is well in closed-loop without having to install an additional exhaust bung. Being able to just unplug the WB like the stock narrowband would definitely be a plus as well. That way I can use it on my friend's car too.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Being able to just unplug the WB like the stock narrowband would definitely be a plus as well. That way I can use it on my friend's car too.
Yeah I'd like to just be able to plug/unplug it also, so I can change which bank I'm measuring. From the directions this seems like not a problem, but I think the easiest way to do the wiring would be to get a connector to plug in in place of the stock sensor cable. So where to get one?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

That same friend of mine conveniently replaced an O2 a week or 2 ago and still has the old one. He has offered to let me lop off the end and see if I can do anything with it.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now I may be wrong, but in my LC-1 instruction kit I thought it said to get the wideband sensor as far downstream in the exhaust system as possible to keep the engine heat from interfering with the readings. I had thought about trying to put a wideband in place of one of the factory ones, but decided against it due to the unkowns mentioned above and I wanted to make sure to get the most accurate readings I could. Just giving my .02 cents.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf

On CATALYTIC CONVERTER equipped vehicles:
Install the oxygen sensor’s bung upstream from the catalytic converter (a bung and plug is included in the LC-1 kit).
It also says something about not exceeding 900*F for the sensor. If you do, you need to fab up a 4"x4" piece of copper to shield the sensor on the outside of the pipe. Unless someone is running a turbo, I don't think exhaust temps are typically that high.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-17-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Now I may be wrong, but in my LC-1 instruction kit I thought it said to get the wideband sensor as far downstream in the exhaust system as possible to keep the engine heat from interfering with the readings. I had thought about trying to put a wideband in place of one of the factory ones, but decided against it due to the unkowns mentioned above and I wanted to make sure to get the most accurate readings I could. Just giving my .02 cents.

Let us know how it turns out.
I think it says upstream of the cats though. (But maybe you don't have cats?)
Old 06-17-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Ah ha! Found this in a 99 C5 manual. It should be similar to our setup I would think. Anyone know how to read it and be able to tell me how to hook up the LC-1 in the stock location?

Old 06-17-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah ha! Found this in a 99 C5 manual. It should be similar to our setup I would think. Anyone know how to read it and be able to tell me how to hook up the LC-1 in the stock location?

Well the "B" wire goes to analog output 1 of the LC-1. The other wires you can leave disconnected, unless you want to use the "D" wire (switched 12V for heater) as the 12V source for the LC-1.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lightbulb, like a taillight, does a good job of simulating the heater in a narrowband simulation, of needed.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Use a aluminum case power resistor of the same value and wattage as the O2 heater. It won't burn out like a bulb, and you can fasten it to metal to dissipate the heat. You should be able to get one from Mouser, Digikey, or Allied.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some ECUs look for a change in resistance with temp (current flow). They will thow a code if the resistance stays constant. I suspect this is part if gettign ready for OBDIII. I am working on full NB and WB simulators for OBDIII now.

That's why the lightbulb. The lightbulb's resistance goes up as it gets brighter/hotter. Same as the real heater.

If the LS1 ecu doesn't do this then you can just measure the heater resistance on the NB sensor and order a resistor to match.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

After looking at sensor locations, I've decided that I'm going to use one of the after-cat locations, since the before-cat ones just don't have enough space, and also they're pointing up which you're not supposed to do with the w.b. sensor. (I don't have headers.) So this way the simulated n.b. output won't be as critical, since (I believe) only the front ones are used for closed-loop a/f setting by the PCM. Drawback is the readings won't be as accurate, but hopefully I can find some info on just how much the cat changes the a/f, and compensate in software.

Also have been unable to find just the o2 connectors, so going to order an extension cable and cut off one end.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by patSS/00
After looking at sensor locations, I've decided that I'm going to use one of the after-cat locations, since the before-cat ones just don't have enough space, and also they're pointing up which you're not supposed to do with the w.b. sensor. (I don't have headers.) So this way the simulated n.b. output won't be as critical, since (I believe) only the front ones are used for closed-loop a/f setting by the PCM. Drawback is the readings won't be as accurate, but hopefully I can find some info on just how much the cat changes the a/f, and compensate in software.

Also have been unable to find just the o2 connectors, so going to order an extension cable and cut off one end.
Good idea about going with the extensions. Shoulda thought of that one myself. However, I thought I read in the instructions you want to mount the sensor somewhere between 10:00 and 2:00 on the pipe if you can to avoid the condesation/moisture from damaging the sensor??? They also said somewhere that a correction factor is sometimes used for after-cat readings. So, you might be able to get away with going that route. I guess I just wanted a simple "plug this in here, run your laptop connection into the vehicle, and be done with it" setup. Guess things rarely are as simple as they could/should be.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good idea about going with the extensions. Shoulda thought of that one myself. However, I thought I read in the instructions you want to mount the sensor somewhere between 10:00 and 2:00 on the pipe if you can to avoid the condesation/moisture from damaging the sensor???
Right, that's one reason I don't want to use the front sensor mount - if you look at them, one is at about 8:00, the other 6:00, so worst possible for the w.b. sensor. The only thing that might make it not as bad is that the pipe is slanting down at that point. Maybe you have headers which are different, anyway for stock cats the before-cat mountings seem not good.

By the way I don't see how anyone could possibly get another sensor bung welded in front of the cats, there's no space in there to do anything.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can buy an 02 simulator and cut that up. Simply plug it in and cut the signal wire on the o2 simulator that way you do not cut up the factory connector.
Attach the output 0-1v narrowband to the cut wire. Now the computer is happy beacuse the heater circuit is still there and the 0-1v signal is still going to the factory computer. Alternatly you will need to cut the signal wire and feed it to the LC-1. Then move the sensor someplace out of the way and leave it there. On the vetter you place it just under the torque tube on top of the big metal plate!
We will be shortly selling remote displays for all of the innovative wideband systems, square key chain sized displays and round 2-1/16". So far we have had very good results with the LC-1 and LM-1.

www.DynotuneNitrous.com

Cheers
Dan
Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I'm halfway with this project. The only thing really left is the system ground (white) and an analog ground (green). I'm assuming these both go to the middle slot on the 3-pin orange plug? I have the 12v switch source, heater ground and NBO2 feeds wired to a stock connector (off an old O2 sensor that a friend donated) that will plug into the stock connection by the stock driver's side bung. The system ground, analog ground, and calibration wires are all that's left to connect. Please correct me if I'm wrong about connecting the white/green wires to the middle pin as I don't want to blow anything up tonight!

Originally Posted by Innovate
6. Connect the System Ground to where you will use the analog out signals. If you use the analog out signals as input for an ECU or data-logger, connect the system ground to the ground of the ECU or data-logger.
7. Optionally connect the analog out signals to their intended devices. Note: the Analog Ground should be connected to either the system ground or ECU/data-logger ground if used.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, Im dragging this old thread up.
I ran with LC-1 as 02 sim but the banks were about 5% different in fueling.
Has anyone else done this and can anyone comment on what is an acceptable difference in fuel trims between banks?

Now Im just running open loop all the time with efilive and commanding afr in table b3647 which works fine, but it never totally locks on to 14.63:1 due to IAT etc differences.

Quick Reply: LC-1 and narrowband simulation