Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

User Vs Wet kits! CAR GOES BOOOM

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default User Vs Wet kits! CAR GOES BOOOM

Wassup if you dont know me, I'm SHAWN.....Personally I like Dry over wet but instead of bashing on wet kits i'm going to tell you guys about my friend's STUPID mistakes and the reason why he is no longer cruising a LS1 Trans Am.

Maybe newbies will have a lot of questions answered! I learned all my N20 knowledge off of everyone that helped me so I tried to help him but he is hard headed!

Tell me if he is asking for it: Completly STOCK except for FREE AIR MODS....THATS IT!

Ok he gets a NX wet kit a week ago! Running a 150 shot! Sounds normal right? I can understand when you get that type of power you wanna try it out! BUT remember he is STOCK! He goes to the track every wednesdays! SO last weds. He trys his brand new kit for the first time! As he proceeds for his new 1/4 mile time, half way through we hear a big BOOOOOOM. My first thought was "puddling"...(So i could come on here and say wet kits suck) .....But it was due to user mistakes or just plain ignorance! WHY did his car got BOOM? Remember I said he was stock right and he ONLY got the NX kit! I NEVER said he HAD a HEATER, NOTHING TO MONITOR HIS BOTTLE PRESSURE, WINDOW SWITCH, PLUGS, AND IF ANYTHING THE MOST EAST TO SEE A UPGRADED FUEL PUMP! <<<< Those basics could have saved that motor! We can go into FPSS, Injectors and so on to even be more safe BUT I dont think his brain could go that far. POINT IS: N20 is and investment! You get what you put in it! If it takes you a year to get the proper saftey equipment, wait that year! DONT BE A SHAWNS friend and have your girlfriend take you to meets and the track with an 96' Saturn. Invested about $1500 - $2000 into you kit and engine! Saves you the $c$o$s$t$ of a new engine and so on! Even as a dry lover is still give wet user their props. So if your running wet I can say about 99% of the time it is users fault if your CAR GOES BOOM

I quote:

Eric: My car blew up at the track cause of Nitrous!
Shawn(me): Did you have a window switch, heater,FPSS, plugs,pump, etc?
Eric: No why do I need that my pump can handle 200hp!
Shawn: Stock everything?
Eric: Yeah, but the LS1 can handle all that without that ****! I just left my armed switch on too long!
Shawn: lol.... what the hell! Your car blew up cause you didn't get any saftey stuff! Your intake and **** are gone Dude!
Eric: Yeah so I can just find a intake online for about $50! Well why does it take you so long to get your Nitrous up and running! You been talking 4ever about your kit and you haven't used it!
Shawn: Why you ask? It is the reason why I'm still driving and your not my friend! Nuff said!

Thanks for you time!

Last edited by 150shotWS6; 06-17-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 150shotWS6
Wassup if you dont know me, I'm SHAWN.....Personally I like Dry over wet but instead of bashing on wet kits i'm going to tell you guys about my friend's STUPID mistakes and the reason why he is no longer cruising a LS1 Trans Am.

Maybe newbies will have a lot of questions answered! I learned all my N20 knowledge off of everyone that helped me so I tried to help him but he is hard headed!

Tell me if he is asking for it: Completly STOCK except for FREE AIR MODS....THATS IT!

Ok he gets a NX wet kit a week ago! Running a 150 shot! Sounds normal right? I can understand when you get that type of power you wanna try it out! BUT remember he is STOCK! He goes to the track every wednesdays! SO last weds. He trys his brand new kit for the first time! As he proceeds for his new 1/4 mile time, half way through we hear a big BOOOOOOM. My first thought was "puddling"...(So i could come on her and say wet kits suck) .....But is was do to user mistakes or just plain ignorance! WHY did his car got BOOM? Remember I said he was stock right and he ONLY got the NX kit! I never said he DIDN'T have a HEATER, NOTHING TO MONITOR HIS BOTTLE PRESSURE, WINDOW SWITCH, PLUGS, AND IF ANYTHING THE MOST EAST TO SEE A UPGRADED FUEL PUMP! <<<< Those basics could have saved that motor! We can go into FPSS, Injectors and so on to even be more safe BUT I dont think his brain could go that far. POINT IS: N20 is and investment! You get what you put in it! If it takes you a year to get the proper saftey equipment, wait that year! DONT BE A SHAWNS friend and have your girlfriend take you to meets and the track with an 96' Saturn. Invested about $1500 - $2000 into you kit and engine! Saves you the $c$o$s$t$ of a new engine and so on! Even as a dry lover is still give wet user their props. So if your running wet I can say about 99% of the time it is users fault if your CAR GOES BOOM

I quote:

Eric: My car blew up at the track cause of Nitrous!
Shawn(me): Did you have a window switch, heater,FPSS, plugs,pump, etc?
Eric: No why do I need that my pump can handle 200hp!
Shawn: Stock everything?
Eric: Yeah, but the LS1 can handle all that without that ****! I just left my armed switch on too long!
Shawn: lol.... what the hell! Your car blew up cause you didn't get any saftey stuff! You intake and **** are gone!
Eric: Yeah so I can just find a intake online for about $50! Well why does it take you so long to get your Nitrous up and running! You been talking 4ever about your kit and you haven't used it!
Shawn: Why you ask? It is the reason why I'm still driving and your not my friend! Nuff said!

Thanks for you time!

A wise man once said, "you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink"
Old 06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

I guess he will think more next time
Old 06-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Well I think i'm a little dumb! Cause after all that I asked if he knew how to install my MSD window Switch and he said yes and then he walked out to my car door and asked which switch was bad the passenger or Driver!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what was the cause? i feel comfortable running a 150hp kit on a completely stock ls1.. no problem. done it many times.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Launching!

I think he was running too lean! If not then puddling! Just bad fuel delivery period! I really cant tell you! Cause he doesn't even know!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LETZ RUN
so what was the cause? i feel comfortable running a 150hp kit on a completely stock ls1.. no problem. done it many times.
Completely stock like his? No pump or anything? If so my best words to you GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

must have been some reason for the mishap. I agree all the extras certainly would make it much safer though.

Dont skimp and do your research until you UNDERSTAND whats happening when you use nitrous. That will alow better informed decisions of when and when NOT to do certain things.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 06-17-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

completely stock..no problem.. we ran 98 w/ 4" exhaust, good converter and some gears and slicks on 200 shot for 3 years with stock fuel pump.. no problems.. roll bar was removed, exhaust was quieted, converter was changed and it was back to almost stock and still drives around today, no problems.

Stock pump is fine up to 200hp, anything more then that id run a bigger pump. ive probably ran kits on 5-6 LS1s, all with stock pumps, and never had 1 issue. rarely used a window switch, only one person wanted one, a couple on buttons, and a couple on WOT switches.. some people do something wrong and then people start saying nitrous does this, or you cant do that, yadda yadda, when all it was, was 1 person not doing somethign correctly.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to play, and can't pay, don't spray. Really though, that's why I suggest starting small and working your way up in power. At each level log, read plugs or dyno. Now some who have been doing this a long time can accelerate the process, but the safety stuff should be in place to minimize problems. Rember the old saying: " A Fool and His Intake are Soon Parted". A dummy can hurt there motor with a dry kit also, but more fool proof, imo.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL some people don't ever take advise, that is why there cars are junk and blown up on the track. It is kind of like people that don't use the search button ask dumb questions and then don't like the advise they get. I say do your own research and then you would have a problem.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

I want to see pics of the carnage.

Biggest mistake I think is no window switch.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

biggest mistake i think is stupidity, no research whatsoever. how the hell can you expect to run nitrous if you don't even know what your freaking bottle pressure is (especially in a wet kit)?!

take his keys away from him, he doesn't deserve to drive.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey man I read your post but then I got to your sig... I'm not your wife
Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Ouch....that sucks.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Launching!

your friends biggest mistake was running stock plugs with a 150hp shot...i would bett the flame went out then back on and that caused the explosion
Old 06-18-2005, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

i've seen more problems due to safety stuff than not. mainly it's due to the system not working because of all that safety stuff. FPSS fails, window switch has a 200 rpm default where it won't come on if you are within 200 rpm of activation, etc....

i run 175 on the wife's and 200 on mine. all stock programming and fuel systems. no saftey crap other than WOT switch. that way it shuts off when i let off the throttle. and i do run 2 steps colder plugs.

it's nice to have all that stuff, though, for the super safety conscience.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Hey man I read your post but then I got to your sig... I'm not your wife
Old 06-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrr23
i've seen more problems due to safety stuff than not. mainly it's due to the system not working because of all that safety stuff. FPSS fails, window switch has a 200 rpm default where it won't come on if you are within 200 rpm of activation, etc....

i run 175 on the wife's and 200 on mine. all stock programming and fuel systems. no saftey crap other than WOT switch. that way it shuts off when i let off the throttle. and i do run 2 steps colder plugs.

it's nice to have all that stuff, though, for the super safety conscience.

Some are lucky like you! Some are not! I perfer saftey just because it is a little peace of mind! But I do agree about the FPSS (hunk of **** from what I hear) Need like 3 intalled on you car just to be a LITTLE safe!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Been Running 150 Shot With No Warmer, Window Switch, Etc.....jus Wot, And I Think It Comes Down To Driver... Ive Ran 10+ Bottles And That Bitch Hits Hard Every Time.....jus Switched Plugs Out And Ready To Go Clown On Some More Cobras..........where They At...............