Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me pick a grill insert. (pics welcomed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a grill insert. (pics welcomed)

Well, I've been debating what to do about my grill for acouple of years now and guess what, nothing has ever gotten done about it. The big problem is that I have to run a front plate. So here's what I've been thinking.

Stock SLP SS grill. Looks great, it's cheap, but not sure what to do about the plate (don't want to run the SLP plate bracket).

Second option is the DGM grill. Is alot more expensive by the time it's painted, but it looks great and my factory plate bracket will work with it. But I can't decide if I would paint it red or black.

My last and most expensive option is to run no insert. I would have to fill the holes and have the bumper resprayed but, there would be no seems and I would be able to tuck the plate into the nose instead of it sticking out.

Pics???? I'd like to see them if you have them.

Here's a current pic of the car with the grill and plate.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 06-18-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

phew, really sucks that you gotta have plates, but i'd go with the cheapest one, since the plate is going to cover most of it up anyways, just my opinion though. btw your car is one of my fav's on the site.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Here's my Wings West painted NBM.
Attached Thumbnails Help me pick a grill insert. (pics welcomed)-dscn0322.jpg  
Old 06-18-2005, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Im suppose to have plates also. been running around for a year like this so far, knock on wood.
I bet states could save a bundle if they only sent out one plate for the rear....
But I agree, go with the cheap one if you have to cover it up.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

I never ran one up until last fall. The car really doesn't look and sound like a street car anymore and having no front plate gives them a good excuse to stop me so they can do a walk around. I just had to get a plate worth putting in the front.

Here's kinda what it would look like with no grill. I was to lazy to back the car up and see what it'll look like from far away but it might look good smoothed and with the plate and frame conforming to the shape of the car. Kinda has that wide open mouth look though. Still thinking about the DGM one, it will have that stick on look like my ground effect though.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:28 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the second one you posted. The DGM one... It just sucks you have to run the a front plate. I don't run one, and leave the firebird plate filler up front. I do throw my plate up in the front windshield though, I haven't been pulled over in probably two years for no plate.

If you can get the DGM front grill, and figure out a way to mount the plate without drilling holes, that would look great. That way you can take the plate off for car shows, cruises etc.

BTW how was bike week this year? The weather kinda sucked so I didn't make it up. It started raining when I was about to leave, but I heard today (saturday) wasn't a complete bust.

Rob
Old 06-18-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, DGM has a carbon fiber one for a reasonable amount too. I might be able to get away with that unpainted for awhile. I can always velcro the plate on or something.

Bike week sucked this year. It has pretty much rained everyday since tuesday or so. Plenty of people and bikes are out but most of the nice customs are stuffed in trailers and hotel rooms. It's certainly not like the past few years.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the DGM carbon fiber one. Real nice piece and great construction. But I would hate to have to cover it up though. I like the fill in the hole method and tag infront like your pics. Maybe even fill in the camaro logo behind the tag to make it look even smoother.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the no grill option.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM sure didn't leave us many options in the front plate dept, that's for sure.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished my open grille conversion and I chose the small bar billet grille. I started to go black, but I kinda like it like it is. just maybe need an emblem?

Took a couple quick pics.

Not great pics, and the grille gives sort of an optical illussion when viewed a certain way.
Attached Thumbnails Help me pick a grill insert. (pics welcomed)-grille2new.jpg   Help me pick a grill insert. (pics welcomed)-grlle3new.jpg  

Last edited by Deeavi; 06-20-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a grill insert. (pics welcomed)