Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch not disengaging after a 1/4 pass

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Clutch not disengaging after a 1/4 pass

Ok, was out racing today, 1st pass went fairly well, other then spinning terribly out of the hole, but I had issues going into 4th, not sure if I missed a gear or not. Ran through the gears on the return road and parking lot, and no problems, all felt fine. On that pass I did a pretty smokey 2nd gear burnout on the Mickey DR's. 2nd pass I decided not to smoke them, did a quick 1st gear clean for a couple seconds. Pull up to the line, come out around 4500 in first and get a great (for me) launch. Go to grab 2nd, and I'm locked out of that and every other gear.

Clutch won't disengage, would only get a gear rev matching. Can't get it in gear when stopped. Tried starting it in first with the clutch in, and the car lurched forward. Actually ended up driving the 80 miles (almost all highway) back home by rev match shifting. Luckily made the handful of lights through town near home so I didn't have to stop!

So I searched on clutch not disengaging, and most of the posts had to do with after an install. So what do you guys think caused my problems? I'm thinking its probably the clutch itself (spec 3) maybe stuck to the flywheel. The hydraulics have never given me an issue and were working fine up to that point, so it seems unlikely. Am I right in assuming I need a new clutch? Any reccomendations? May give that Textrailia one a shot. Had this spec for about 1.5 years and 6k miles. Probably about 50 passes on it with no issues prior to today.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt the disc welded itself together because 6k miles is plenty of break-in time.Do you have pressure on the clutch pedal itself ? If not it might be your hydraulics. If you still have pressure and the clutch won't disengage something on the disc broke,wheither it's a rivot or a spring. Because if you drove it home like a truck driver your pressure plate is still holding enough pressure againest the disc to keep it from moving/slipping. If I was you, I'd take it apart before you go and buy a new clutch it might only be couple hundred $$$$$$ to fix verus a $1000 or more for a new one.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah the clutch pedal still feels pretty much normal. I tried pumping it over and over, but it did nothing. And yeah, it was holding 6th gear at ~65mph up a decent hill, no slippage. I probably will take it apart before ordering a new clutch BUT thunder is having a nice sale on spec 3's for $377 that ends tomorrow. But I don't know if I want to bother with another spec if it turns out the clutch failed on me after 6k miles.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

I just bought a new spec 4f a couple of months ago and I had only 80 or so miles on it and mine did the same thing your taking about. After I took it apart there was a couple of rivots missing and the rest were loose on the hub. I sent it back and they fixed it. I haven't had any problems yet other than my hydraulics ( that happened yesterday at the track) with the clutch.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

My ram 6130 disc welded itself to the PP. My symptoms were exactly what you are describing. Clutch had about 25,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Clutch not disengaging after a 1/4 pass