Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

new 12 bolt strange leaking at ends need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 12 bolt strange leaking at ends need help

i have 85 miles on a new strange rear end ,have not went fast and has been babied now its leaking bad at each axle end,does anyone know what this might be from? i added another bottle of gear oil last night and it did not even fill it up,,it may not even have any seals in it,,or something is bad wrong ,do u all think i might have done any damage ,i plan on calling strange in the am .and tell them what a piece of junk they sent me ,,$2800,and it lasts only 85 miles of two trips 30mins apart..what a disappointment any replies will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do you mean its leaking at the end of the axle tube where the weld is or where the locking plate/caliper mount is?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bandit 1
do you mean its leaking at the end of the axle tube where the weld is or where the locking plate/caliper mount is?
its leaking out the backing plate studs and around the rotor
Old 06-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bernard shortt
its leaking out the backing plate studs and around the rotor
do strange rearends have a vent hole ,,maybe it could be stopped up or something if they do,,but it sure is strange how both are leaking near the backing plates
Old 06-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Launching!

Yes they do have a vent hole it is on top on It looks like a bronze plug. It is sinered in the center of the plug so check to see if you might have gotten paint on it.

Mine started leaking on the drives side too. Never was able to stop it.
I had so many problems with my 12 bolt i ended up selling it and going with a 9".

Good luck
Old 06-20-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

the rubber O-rings on the bearing outershell may have been left off, causing gear oil to seep. call strange
Old 06-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pla-tym2
the rubber O-rings on the bearing outershell may have been left off, causing gear oil to seep. call strange
i called strange today and they told me that it must have ben overfilled from the factory,the gear oil was all the way up to the fill plug ,they told me to just change out the hog head seal and oil clean it up well and just put two quarts back in there and see if the rearend just had to much oil in it and was being pushed out by the pressure and heat

where exzactly is the vent hole?/
Old 06-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bernard shortt
i called strange today and they told me that it must have ben overfilled from the factory,the gear oil was all the way up to the fill plug ,they told me to just change out the hog head seal and oil clean it up well and just put two quarts back in there and see if the rearend just had to much oil in it and was being pushed out by the pressure and heat

where exzactly is the vent hole?/
what size would i need ,,would advance auto have those rings ?