Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Bearing Failures?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Bearing Failures?

I am in the market for a different car. I have only owned Fords in the past and am not a Mustang fan (till this year). I saw an exploded view of an LS engine and was very impressed. As far as the block goes, at a glance it is identical to the Ford block. The heads on the other hand are SWEET. The valve angles on the intake and exhaust side are killer. No wonder they support soo much HP and still get good gas milage. The problem I now see (other then the piston slap) is the failure of the main bearings. What gives? I was just looking on the classifieds section and in less then two weeks I see two that have the same problem. The thing is, Im not the only one who noticed. I told another guy I was going to buy a LS engine vehicle and he asked me about that. I know the new Mustangs have their problems too but I would much rather pull a head off and stick a new valve in then pull the engine and have to rebuild the lower end.

Chris
Old 06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont see an abundance of crank bearing failures on LS engines unless they are over 100K or neglected(oil changes) or a lot of spray being run through them,piston slap I'll give ya but its not like an epidemic on bearing failures...
Old 06-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Are there any other problems with these cars? I know they rattle like hell and squeak and such but anything else that is major?

Chris
Old 06-21-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Zero rattles and zero sqeaks here. And, I hate those noises. A welded in set of boxed SFCs took care of noise problems.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My warranty claims on LS engines are virtually non-existant. We occasionally do a water pump on 5.3L trucks and we've done some LS-1 rings for oil consumption but overall the failure rate is nil.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Launching!

anybody gonna warn him about the rear ends??