Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Timing Lingo Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Timing Lingo Question

Help me out here, everyone casually refers to running 28 degrees (or whatever) of timing, but clearly the numbers in your timing table vary according to MAP and RPM. So what cell/area are most referring to when they say they're running a particular number of degrees?

Below is my high octane table for HPDE tune. I run 2 more degrees across the entire table at the strip. Should my entire table up top be the same number of degrees, or does mine look correct for the most part? (I understand it's what the car will tolerate, but advise me like it was your car).

Old 06-20-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically from .56 g/cyl down and 2800 RPMs across is what we consider WOT. The actual timing will be determined from which rpm and g/cyl your car is at for that moment. I would say just from looking at that table, you don't see more then 26* at WOT with the majority being in the 22 range.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

What vehicle is this for and what are your mods...Hard to say if this looks right for your application without knowing...

Peace...Gman
Old 06-20-2005, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

2002 C5

I'm really just asking if this is how your timing table looks after you've tuned your car...eg does your timing go down after 3200rpm, or does it stay at the same value all the way to redline. (of course assuming the car wasn't knocking like crazy)
Old 06-21-2005, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Looks pretty normal...PM me or give me your e-mail and I will send you a stock .bin file for a 2002 Z06...

Peace...Gman
Old 06-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Restricted User

For my NA tune I run timing advancing from bottom of my logged WOT run to the top so I end up with max advance near the lower left of the WOT Logged area. I do the timing like the fueling, richer for max torque (lil less timing) and leaner for max hp (lil more timing).
For my Nitrous tune, totally different, keep the timing quite a bit lower and only advance it max of 3* from start to end.

If you go out and log, revert back to the Histogram and watch the timing shoot from upper right to the center when hit WOT, then slightly left and down as you prgress throughout the rpms. Thats the target for timing adjust. Then try smoothing it and see how it works.

Other than that, looks normal to me, and agree your probably seeing nominal 23*.